Railroad Forums 

• Whats Your Favorite Spot?

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#6944  by NERailfan

Rockingham Junction in Newfields/Newmarket, New Hampshire.
Plaistow, New Hampshire at CPF 273.

Amtrak's Downeaster and Guilford pass along through here.

#6965  by roee

My favorite spot right now seems to be the Algoa wye along the BNSF Galveston sub and the end of the UP Angleton sub. Both RR's have rights over each other. But you can't really go too far around Houston without falling over some trains.
 #8760  by alco-holic

I have two places I love, the first is Winslow, AZ and the yard there. They also fuel the trains on the main line there and there is lots of action, and it's anly a bit over an hour from my home.
The second is a little farther west at Diablo Canyon bridge where there are several signals that let you know what's coming at you, and pictures of trafic on the bridge are impressive.

Brian the Alco-holic fan
 #8955  by bncsx

One of my favorite places is the Worcester Depot in Central Ma.
Its adjacent to an intermodal yard, and you can watch them build trains that leave all times of the day & night. (sometimes yard is quiet)
Providence & Worcester and Amtrack also cross at depot.
Local "T" and Lakeshore limited come thru too.
Its hit or miss, Ive seen 6-8 trains go through in 3 hours, and other times, only one. You may even get lucky and see an occasional Guilford.

#9911  by alcoc420

Croton-Harmon is pretty neat, if you don't mind Genesis locomotives. They come by frequently in MN and Amtrak liveries.

About 6 years ago I stayed at a cheap motel in Attleboro that backed up to the tracks. MBTA F40's came by super fast. Unfortunately, once I could hear them, I had only about a 1 second to look out the window. Nevertheless, I recommend Attleboro.

Frontier yard on Broadway in Sloan, just east of Buffalo is a favorite of mine. I visit there a few times a year. Crew changes take place near Cheektowoga. I see an Amtrak about 50% of the time.

Here's a toughy. Ransom Road in Lancaster, NY. The NS (ex Erie) is couple miles south of the CSX (ex-NYC main) Chicago line. It always seems like when I am at one RR, I hear a train on the other.

The Carousel Mall in Syracuse. I can sit in the food court with my family, and watch trains out the window. CSX, NYSW, AMT and I used to see CN. I don't know if CN still has run throughs.

The Orient Point ferry at New London, CT. This is a goody. The ferry terminal is adjacent to the RR station. While waiting on the ferry, I almost always see two Amtraks. (around noon or 3PM). Sometimes PW comes by. Thrice, I have seen CV switching or bringing a train into the yard. (I don't know who owns the track today.) Then, as the ferry leaves, walk to the port side and look at the General Dynamics submarine yard. Usually, there is one sub under construction, and a sub in the water.

The best place I go to today is the Utica RR station. CSX and Amtrak on the main line. Amtrak seems to have 2 to 3 trains around 11 to noon. CSX seems to have one to two trains per hour. The Mohawk, Adirondack and Northern shop is visible from the east end of the station. The NYSW shop is visible around a curve a few hundred yards west of the station. In the summer, Adirondack Scenic RR trains depart from near the station. Plus, the station is an architectural gem.

#10397  by Tony T.

Guess we don't have any Illinois folk here yet. ('bearclaw' not withstanding) Rochelle is very good, especially with the park. Sunday late afternoon, watch the parade roll into the Chicago area.

When I travel east, I always get in trouble for not spending enough time with my relatives, who happen to live in Fostoria (my grandparents house is within sight of the old C & O passenger station, at least what's left of it). I also get to spend some summer weekends in western Michigan along the Grand Trunk (CN) just south of K-zoo.
 #14630  by jmp883

Living in northern NJ I like following the action along the NJT Mainline and Southern Tier. Yes it is primarily commuter action, but a train is a train is a train.........

When visiting my parents in Omaha, NE (railfan heaven) I don't have a particular favorite spot because there are so many good spots to sit and watch the activity.

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL

#14830  by The Caternary Type

It would definitely have to be either 30th street station from I-76, though 96&park is a close second. 3rd is the PATH yard between Newark and Secauscus.

#14850  by LI Loco

Several locations along the former NYC Hudson Division with plenty of Metro North and Amtrak action:

Peekskill - great shots of trains rounding the curve by the station. Can also walk in to shoot trains coming south off the Roa Hook causeway.

Manitou Road - Grade crossing with small Metro North station platform used 2x/day. Mountainous backdrop. Real attraction is the sound of the horn echoing off the mountain. Can also walk south along the ROW to get shots from a small cut overlooking the tracks or go further in toward Bear Mountain Bridge.

Garrison - Can shoot southbounds exiting tunnel or climb over top of hill and shoot them as they enter.

Breakneck Ridge - Another tunnel you can walk to, but I hear it is now heavily patrolled due to post 9/11 security concerns.

Spuyten Duyvil - Southbound Metro North trains come around curve off Hudson River. Amtrak crosses Spuyten Duyvil (its a Dutch name for the waterway linking the Hudson and Harlem Rivers) at the point where it flows into the Hudson.
Last edited by LI Loco on Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

#15076  by Conrail Cleveland East

Just a few.
AMTK-Seabrook,MD.
AMTK-Perryville,MD.
UP-Calamus-Clarence-Belle Plain,IA.
IAIS-Minooka,IL/Brooklyn,IA.
BNSF-Princeton,IL/Vaughn,NM.
CSX-CP SK/Erie,Pa/Western,NY/Berea,Oh.
GRS-Portland,ME.
FEC-West Palm Beach,FL.
CSX/CNIC-Effingham,Il.
CNIC-Manteno,IL.
B&LE-Albion,Pa/Wallace Jct/Girard,Pa.
BNSF/IHB-Hodgkins,IL.
UP-US 30.
BNSF/CP-Newport,MN
NS-Conway/Trafford/Jeanette/NorthEast,Pa.
KCS-Joplin/Neosha,MO
CSX-Canaan,NY(B&A).
G&W-Limestone,NY/Johnsonburg,PA.
CNIC-Lansing,MI.

#15123  by CSX Conductor

Canaan, Ny? Any reason why Canaan, ClevelandEast? Because of the State Line tunnels?

#15166  by Conrail Cleveland East

Not the SLT CSXConductor,but the easy access to food right next to the tracks.Just park and let the trains come right to you.When i'm up in the old B&A territory,i don't have the time to really fan the line.Canaan is the only spot where i can crash,eat some stomach stirrors,and catch a few trains before i head East or West.
For those who don't know,Canaan,NY., is exit B3 on the NY State Thruway(I-90),on the NY/MASS State line.

#15244  by CSX Conductor

and say a prayer at "The Mobile Chapel". Are you a trucker by chance, if you are, or if you park in the parking lot by Packmans' Road crossing you know of the truck that I am referring to. :)

#15337  by Conrail Cleveland East

When i pass thru Canaan,i park my 4-wheeler in the Ambest station just East where the truckers fuel(never been bothered parking there).Where's this "mobile chapel" you mentioned?

#15514  by EdM

Caanan,NY.. I heard that detector from across the river in Saugerties, wouldja believe? Exactly where are you talking about??, I have been going thru the area for years, either via 295 to 22(from Taconic Pky) or 22. I know the tracks paralled 295 for a while, but cannot remember where they cross 22. I usually go north around Queechy to 22 and havent crossed the state line mountain on 22 (from Hillsdale) since Taconic was extended up that far.... Tnx Ed