Railroad Forums 

• Heavy Equipment mechanic

• Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.
Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1303374  by Mustangracer11

Is anyone on here a heavy equipment mechanic? I've been thinking about trying to get on as on with kcs either as a conductor or mechanic.
I was wondering what the hours and pay are like for a heavy equipment mechanic. Are you gone days or weeks at a time? How much time do you have off?
Thanks
 #1303473  by Freddy

It depends on whether you'll be in the shops or as a maintenance of way mechanic that's assigned to a traveling track gang.
 #1303596  by Freddy

Mustangracer11 wrote:Maintenance of way mechanic. There isn't any shop around where I live and I'm not wanting to move.
Then you'll probably be on a traveling gang. Some work 4 on with 3 off(Fri,Sat,Sun) and some work 8 on and 6 off.
 #1303917  by Mustangracer11

Freddy wrote:
Mustangracer11 wrote:Maintenance of way mechanic. There isn't any shop around where I live and I'm not wanting to move.
Then you'll probably be on a traveling gang. Some work 4 on with 3 off(Fri,Sat,Sun) and some work 8 on and 6 off.
That sounds better than being on call 24/7