Railroad Forums 

• Dallas and San Antonio

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#1228676  by gprimr1

I'm visiting a friend in Dallas this December and I expect to have some downtime. I have also bribed her into going to the Alamo with me. I'll have some free time while she finishes up school so I wanted to see some trains.

I have read some very negative things about DART, so I sent a letter to the DART police asking for something in writing about their photo policy. There is a observation tower that looks like it will afford great pictures of downtown.

Anything else good to see?
 #1229340  by Backshophoss

Try to ride the TRE to Ft Worth,Amtrak has a small yard there at the station,Tower 55 should be in walking distance from the T&P Depot.
UP and BNSF freights with Amtrak(Texas Eagle #21/22 and the Heartland Flyer#821/822).
 #1230097  by RRspatch

Backshophoss wrote:Try to ride the TRE to Ft Worth,Amtrak has a small yard there at the station,Tower 55 should be in walking distance from the T&P Depot.
UP and BNSF freights with Amtrak(Texas Eagle #21/22 and the Heartland Flyer#821/822).
Do NOT attempt to walk from the Amtrak/TRE station to Tower 55. One would have to cross busy city streets to get there and once there one would have to cross active UP and BNSF tracks. UP Special Agents operate out of the tower and would be quick to respond to trespassers. The area just to the south of Tower 55 is also not the kind of area I'd want to be in with camera equipment.

I recommend hanging out at Dallas Union Station. From there you can observe Amtrak (twice a day), TRE, DART light rail and UP traffic. The observation tower is Reunion Tower which provides a nice look down at all the action.

http://www.reuniontower.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DART/TRE does offer a $10 all day pass that good system wide. Use it to ride DART, TRE and the Denton "A Train".
 #1230220  by gprimr1

I wouldn't dream of trespassing. :)

I'm hoping DART will provide some guidance on photographing their stuff.