Style buttons (bold, italics, list, etc) not working

General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

User avatar
MEC407
Posts: 10921
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:15 pm

Style buttons (bold, italics, list, etc) not working

Post by MEC407 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:25 pm

I first noticed this yesterday, and I know of at least one other user who is experiencing the same problem. When I highlight a block of text and click the "i" button to put it in italics, nothing happens. All it does is un-highlight the text. Same thing happens with all the other style buttons. I can still apply styles manually using the appropriate BBCode, but I'm curious as to why the buttons aren't working.

Additionally, I was wondering why there's a bunch of code at the bottom of every page, which looks like this:

Code: Select all

xt/javascript"> var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-18821843-6']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })(); 
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives

Eliphaz
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Amherst, MA

Re: Style buttons (bold, italics, list, etc) not working

Post by Eliphaz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:03 pm

the buttons arent working but you can still enter the tags manually. bracket-i-endbracket text bracket-slash-i-endbracket
if you hover over the button the balloon shows you how to format it.

User avatar
Otto Vondrak
Posts: 20285
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: New York

Re: Style buttons (bold, italics, list, etc) not working

Post by Otto Vondrak » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:10 pm

MEC407 wrote:I first noticed this yesterday, and I know of at least one other user who is experiencing the same problem. When I highlight a block of text and click the "i" button to put it in italics, nothing happens. All it does is un-highlight the text. Same thing happens with all the other style buttons. I can still apply styles manually using the appropriate BBCode, but I'm curious as to why the buttons aren't working.

Additionally, I was wondering why there's a bunch of code at the bottom of every page, which looks like this:

Code: Select all

xt/javascript"> var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-18821843-6']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })(); 
I've noticed the same thing. don't know why the button are no longer working.

The code at the bottom of the page looks like javascript for Google analytics.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

User avatar
MEC407
Posts: 10921
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:15 pm

Re: Style buttons (bold, italics, list, etc) not working

Post by MEC407 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:08 pm

The emoticon ("smilies") buttons aren't working either.
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives

markhb
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:42 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Style buttons (bold, italics, list, etc) not working

Post by markhb » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:56 am

Otto Vondrak wrote:
MEC407 wrote:I first noticed this yesterday, and I know of at least one other user who is experiencing the same problem. When I highlight a block of text and click the "i" button to put it in italics, nothing happens. All it does is un-highlight the text. Same thing happens with all the other style buttons. I can still apply styles manually using the appropriate BBCode, but I'm curious as to why the buttons aren't working.

Additionally, I was wondering why there's a bunch of code at the bottom of every page, which looks like this:

Code: Select all

xt/javascript"> var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-18821843-6']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })(); 
I've noticed the same thing. don't know why the button are no longer working.

The code at the bottom of the page looks like javascript for Google analytics.

-otto-
I've done a fair amount of web development over the past 15 years, and I think two things are happening. First, it looks like the Javascript import that would bring in the button functions is no longer in place; my Firefox error console says that three functions are undefined, and a search of the page source doesn't find them anywhere. The second is that the code to bring in the Google Analytics is missing half of the opening <script> tag, so the browser just sees it as text. The fact that the closing </script> tag is in place without the opener could also possibly affect Javascript execution on the page.
"...And then I thought, every time some company creates a more powerful locomotive does Superman become more powerful as well or is he stuck at 1938 locomotive power levels?" - A friend of mine elsewhere
Anything I post here is mine alone and does not represent the views of my employer.

User avatar
MEC407
Posts: 10921
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:15 pm

Re: Style buttons (bold, italics, list, etc) not working

Post by MEC407 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:16 pm

The buttons still aren't working, but the extraneous code at the bottom of every page is now gone, at least on my end.
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives

Silverliner II
Posts: 4366
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:04 am
Location: Somewhere near a Philly railroad line...

Re: Style buttons (bold, italics, list, etc) not working

Post by Silverliner II » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:46 pm

MEC407 wrote:The buttons still aren't working, but the extraneous code at the bottom of every page is now gone, at least on my end.
Yeah, same problem here. Buttons and smileys are still not working....
"*BEEEEEP!!!* Three-Three! Three! No Alarms!"
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)

User avatar
MEC407
Posts: 10921
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:15 pm

Re: Style buttons (bold, italics, list, etc) not working

Post by MEC407 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:31 pm

Any idea of when these functions will be functional again? Jeff?
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives

User avatar
Otto Vondrak
Posts: 20285
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: New York

Re: Style buttons (bold, italics, list, etc) not working

Post by Otto Vondrak » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:21 pm

MEC407 wrote:Any idea of when these functions will be functional again? Jeff?
You might want to PM or email Jeff Smith directly...
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

Jeff Smith
Site Admin
Posts: 8494
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:28 am
Location: MP 67.2 Georgia Southern Railway

Re: Style buttons (bold, italics, list, etc) not working

Post by Jeff Smith » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:43 pm

I've been gathering the issues and have given a heads up to the new owner so he can notify his tech guy. Hopefully the fix will be taken care of shortly; for now, there's always brackets..... ;-)
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

3rdrail
Posts: 5641
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:10 pm
Location: Boston

My Bold, Italic, Underlining, Smileys dont work ?

Post by 3rdrail » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:12 pm

All of the above don't work on my posts when I'm making them up now. Also, when I go to sweep a word or sentence to delete it, I'm only able to sweep one letter. This has been this way for a while. I noticed that everything reads "on" except "flash". Is this RR.Net wide or is it just me ? Is there a fix ?
~Paul Joyce~
Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam
Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.

Return to “General Discussion: About RAILROAD.NET”