Computer Glitch or no ?

General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

3rdrail

Computer Glitch or no ?

Post by 3rdrail » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:13 pm

I just went to log into my RR.Net account to see what was doing and for the first time ever, I got a message informing me that due to the number of attempted log in's, that I had to do a Captcha in order to get in. This was only the second time today that I logged in, the first time being about seven hours ago. So, I'm wondering if the system just hiccupped or if someone is actually trying to log in as me ? Anbody else get this message ?
~Paul Joyce~
Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam
Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.

Ken V

Re: Computer Glitch or no ?

Post by Ken V » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:16 pm

No. I haven't seen this message (so far).
Ken V. Moderator: Most things Canadian.
Any time could be train time!

David Benton

Post by David Benton » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:12 pm

i dont remember having to do the cahtcha but i do remember it acting as though i was a new member once a few months ago .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:23 pm

I had quite a few reports about two months ago, but that has subsided. At the same time I was getting registration problems. Stupid me, I had banned email addresses using just the wildcard character: *

Which effectively banned everyone from registering. If for some reason your internet cookies were cleared, you got caught in the "web". When I finally figured it out, the problems stopped.

I know enough about the internet sometimes to be dangerous! But I did figure it out finally, and it was an easy mistake to make (done while fighting spammers).

Sorry you guys were inconvenienced.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

3rdrail

Post by 3rdrail » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:11 pm

It seems, for me at least, to have been a one-time problem. Never came back. Jeff- while we're on the subject. The bold, italics, underline, and smiley features when making a post, seem to all be disabled. Also, you can't highlight a passage anymore to delete or copy it anymore. All of those features were appreciated in the past and make for more interesting and expressive posts. Is there any chance that we could see them return ? Thanks.
~Paul Joyce~
Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:17 pm

Paul, I'll let the site developer know.
Next stop, Willoughby

3rdrail

Post by 3rdrail » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Appreciate it. By the way, you're doing a great job.
~Paul Joyce~

MEC407

Post by MEC407 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:29 pm

The exact same thing just happened to me. Tried to log in, and it said that due to too many login attempts (???) I had to enter a CAPTCHA. Which I did, but it didn't work, so I had to do it again, and then it allowed me to login. Very bizarre. First time that's ever happened to me in all the years I've been using this site.
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:01 am

I'm pretty sure the "CAPTCHA" is happening after a member clears their, er, "cookies" and internet cache. Which is always advisable on a regular basis. It may also have to do with static vs. random IP addresses. Once cookies are cleared and you have to log in (i.e. login no longer automatic since the railroad.net cookie is cleared).

It shouldn't be too much of a hassle since the invalid email fiasco has been solved. Just a one time inconvenience (and those CAPTCHAs can be hard to read) until the cookie is replaced.
Next stop, Willoughby

Return to “General Discussion: About RAILROAD.NET”