PM (Private Message) Issues

General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

Kahlua

Post by Kahlua » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:03 pm

Are PMs currently down? Ive been tring to send one and it says it was sent however it does not appear in my sent box...

Mike Roque

Post by Mike Roque » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:03 pm

"When you send a PM, the message goes to your Outbox. It remains in the Outbox until the recipient visits his/her Inbox, at which point it is moved from your Outbox to their Inbox (and into your Sent Messages folder - MR). While the message remains in your Outbox you may edit or delete your post if you like. The message remains in your control until it is received."

From the phpBB userguide:
http://www.phpbb.com/support/guide/#section4_3
Mike Roqué
Road Foreman of Engines
Placerville & Sacramento Valley Railroad

henry6

Post by henry6 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:37 pm

Am having trouble with new PM management...can't delete messages, at least I cannot find the prompt.

GOLDEN-ARM
Location: " SunRail CFRC 100, North at Church Street Station"

Re: PM MANAGEMENT

Post by GOLDEN-ARM » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:09 pm

Down in the bottom right of the window, where you have your messages, there's a drop down menu. Open it, and see the one "delete marked'. After checking message you want gone, follow prompts. (default setting is "mark/unmark as important") Same as before, but menu is now a drop down style. Regards...

henry6

THANKS>>>>

Post by henry6 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:48 am

Thanks, Golden...I see the problem, or my percieved problem: you can only delete from the "inbox" and not from the message itself; I wasn't looking.

Rockingham Racer

Attachments in PMS?

Post by Rockingham Racer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:58 pm

Is it possible to send an attachment in a PM? Couldn't find the answer in FAQ.

Chessie GM50

Re: Attachments in PMS?

Post by Chessie GM50 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:10 pm

Probably not. I'd assume that if in fact you could, you'd see a link in the PM page. Looks like this one is for otto, or mike, though.

Patrick Boylan
Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

retrieve saved message

Post by Patrick Boylan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:42 pm

I was in the middle of posting a reply when my wife called me away. I clicked the "save" button. How do I retrieve that saved reply to continue editing and submit it?

Otto Vondrak

Re: retrieve saved message

Post by Otto Vondrak » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:20 am

Good question... let me try to find out...
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

3rdrail

Post by 3rdrail » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:53 pm

Press "Save", then later go to the "User Control Panel", where you will see "Manage Drafts". Find your draft there, then click on "Load Draft". Your draft is already in place to be sent under the thread that it was when you saved it. By pressing "Submit" in the usual way, it then goes in the right place as if you never saved it. It then gets erased out of the "Drafts" section.
~Paul Joyce~
Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam
Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.

pennsy

Post by pennsy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:09 pm

A bit complex, but it works. What is needed is a shortcut.

Otto Vondrak

Post by Otto Vondrak » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:07 pm

3rdrail wrote:Press "Save", then later go to the "User Control Panel", where you will see "Manage Drafts". Find your draft there, then click on "Load Draft". Your draft is already in place to be sent under the thread that it was when you saved it. By pressing "Submit" in the usual way, it then goes in the right place as if you never saved it. It then gets erased out of the "Drafts" section.
Thank you, sir.
pennsy wrote:A bit complex, but it works. What is needed is a shortcut.
Probably. A good suggestion for the people who write this software!

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

truman

Trying to empty outbox/sent message folder.

Post by truman » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:28 am

I'm trying to empty my outbox and sent message folder. I mark the messages, click delete marked, go, I am asked do I want to delete the messages, click yes, and get kicked back to a still full folder. What am I missing?

GOLDEN-ARM
Location: " SunRail CFRC 100, North at Church Street Station"

Re: Trying to empty outbox/sent message folder.

Post by GOLDEN-ARM » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:55 pm

This happens to me occasionally, as well. I've tried to delete the messages, while they were open, and as you have. Clearing out my computer, with Ccleaner sometimes helps. I went through a whole week, trying to delete a message, and it wouldn't go away. Wiping the cache and cookies sometimes helps, FWIW. Be sure you have clicked the "remember me/log me on automatically: when you first get here, as this seems to solve some issues, as well. Good luck.... :wink:

UPDATE: After consulting the Admins here, I was able to fix my problem, that just occurred with the same problem. I use AOL, and this seems to be the problem. I installed Firefox, and used this browswer to logon. I could then remove the PM's that were not deleting. Thanks to Otto and Mike, for making this work. Give it a try, it worked for me........

MACTRAXX

Problems using/sending Personal Messages...

Post by MACTRAXX » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Otto and Mike: I almost never use my PM since I have trouble trying to post/send PM's.
When I try to type a recipient in the top box under the title Compose Message it blanks back out on me.
Am I placing that receiver's name in the wrong location?
With the previous hosting system I never had any trouble with PM's.
With the current system I almost never use my PM's.
What am I doing wrong and how can I correct it?
Thanks in advance-MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS

Return to “General Discussion: About RAILROAD.NET”