Browsing Railroad.net on Mobile Devices

General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

slashmaster

Re: Browsing RAILROAD.NET with a mobile phone?

Post by slashmaster » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:19 am

Thanks Otto, I was thinking maybe it was the ads that kept the site from loading at all. As you can probably tell I'm very new to surfing with a mobile phone, is it normal for them to be about as slow as dialup?

Otto Vondrak

Post by Otto Vondrak » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:22 pm

slashmaster wrote:Thanks Otto, I was thinking maybe it was the ads that kept the site from loading at all. As you can probably tell I'm very new to surfing with a mobile phone, is it normal for them to be about as slow as dialup?
Technically, you are on dialup if you're on a phone. I mean, I'm sure its faster than your old 1200-bps modem, but you have to put up with the traffic of your cell network, etc. etc...

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

gprimr1

Post by gprimr1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:46 am

Another forum I am on uses Tapatalk.

It appears that the plugin for the forum is free, so maybe as Railroad.net transitions, the new management will consider implementing it, after all, it is free.

http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale

David Benton

Post by David Benton » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:08 pm

maybe turning avatar viewing off in your profile will speed things up . they seemed to take alot of space and time to load .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.

MEC407

Post by MEC407 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:09 pm

It definitely depends on what kind of phone you're using. "Smartphones" such as iPhones, Blackberries, Android phones, etc., tend to have fairly sophisticated web browsers that can handle just about any web site. Other phones have web browsers that are a bit more basic. I'm currently experimenting with a prepaid phone from StraightTalk Wireless (a subsidiary of Tracfone). The phone, made by Samsung, looks just like a Blackberry, complete with full QWERTY keyboard, but the phone's features are extremely limited (even more limited than my 3-year-old Nokia). The web browser is quite archaic (reminds me of using Mosaic in the early '90s), and it's pretty much useless unless you go to sites that have special stripped-down mobile versions. And yes, it's just as slow as dialup.

The phone is well suited for making voice calls and sending text messages, but that's pretty much all it's good for. Even the camera on my 3-year-old Nokia is better than this thing!
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives

SteelRail

Post by SteelRail » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:47 am

I used to be able to access the forum on my BlackBerry Curve, but since the ads were added, it doesn't format correctly on the screen.
Binghamton, NY area rail scanner feed: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/19369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hi55us

Post by hi55us » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:16 pm

SteelRail wrote:I used to be able to access the forum on my BlackBerry Curve, but since the ads were added, it doesn't format correctly on the screen.
blackberry curve dosen't support flash so the website comes in funky, my droid incredible views it fine.

Printman2000

Re: Railroad.Net via a Mobile Device

Post by Printman2000 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:14 am

Anything new on this? I have personal experience using Tapatalk which is free for the forum and has apps for many phones.

JasW
Location: Currently SAL MP 1025.3; originally DL&W MP 21.1; formerly PRR MP 0.0

Post by JasW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:46 am

phpBB Mobile came out in beta last year, and it apparently works well enough: http://phpbb-mobile.com

It'd be nice to see it here.

mxdata

Post by mxdata » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:08 am

Using the AT&T wireless chip on the road I have found that I cannot get past the home page of Railroad dot Net when using Internet Explorer 8. However if you use Mozilla Firefox everything seems to work properly.

There are some horrendous lags for the automatic ads to load and that frequently gives you a time out error.

MX
"We Repair No Locomotive Before Its Time"

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:03 am

Between I-Phones (primarily an AT&T issue) and Droids (both A and VZ) bandwidth could be an issue. I use a PALM PRE, and on ocassion I just have to reset my device. As we continue throught this transition of a new developer/owner, and try to fix some of the browsing issues that developed when Google Analytics were added, I do ask your indulgence and patience, and apologize for any inconvenience.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

gprimr1

Post by gprimr1 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:07 pm

I have to say it again; I really would love to see Tapatalk support enabled for this forum.
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:50 am

I'll research it, and any tips are welcome.

Anyone out there want to write an app? I can't promise you'd be paid for it :-( .
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Printman2000

Post by Printman2000 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:21 am

There is really no need for an app. Using something like Tapatalk is way simple and also works on multiple mobile platforms. With your own an app, you would need a different version for each OS.

http://tapatalk.com

toolmaker

Re: Browsing Railroad.net on Mobile Devices

Post by toolmaker » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:48 pm

I was given a Samsung Galaxy Tab with Android 2.2.1. I am able to click on the links in my email and open the topic without a problem. I do have to double tap to read the content.
-gary

“If practice makes perfect, and if nobody's perfect, why practice?"

Return to “General Discussion: About RAILROAD.NET”