Railroad Forums 

• Colleges by Rail (split from Eau Claire Rail)

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1510010  by Gilbert B Norman

ADMIN NOTE: Thanks to MTUANDREW for splitting this off. The topic may SEEM OT, but we decided to turn it into a "passenger trains to schools" topic, which was Mssr. Norman's intent.

WAAAY OT, but considering Mom is Mizzou and Dad is Iowa, I must say I was surprised when I learned all three of 'em were going to small schools.

The older Sister goes to Cornell College in Mt. Vernon, IA. For her, I think it was a "good fit".

Now with the Son going to Stout, and his twin Sister going to Carroll University in Waukesha, I guess they part ways with Mom and Dad's idea of college.

Seems like the Cornell girl has found a number of "car pools" to get there and back. For the boy, good to know about the frequent busses to Twin Cities. I'm sure he'll find out soon enough. And his Twin Sister at Carroll, plenty of commercial transportation to get home - including Amtrak.

Of course I always thought the Dean of Student's standard advice was, even if totally homesick, don't go home for at least two months.
 #1510025  by mtuandrew

He will find plenty of classmates with reason to go to Minneapolis et al - no doubt the young man will have fun at professional & collegiate sporting events aplenty, music and arts events, or whatever floats his boat. (Perhaps including boats for fishing or canoeing.)
 #1510034  by Gilbert B Norman

Gilbert B Norman wrote:"A bit different from "my day" when EVERY Big Ten school had rail service available.
Still OT, but at least rail related. When I matriculated at the University of Illinois (UC) Sept 1961 (Broadway to CHI; Panama Ltd to CHM) every Big 10 school had passenger rail. Here's the "rundown" (E to W):

Ohio State: NYC, PRR
Michigan: NYC
Michigan State: "The Funk"
Indiana: Monon
Purdue: NYC, Monon
Northwestern: "take your pick"
Illinois: IC
Wisconsin: CNW, MILW
Iowa: RI
Minnesota: "take your pick"
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Wed May 29, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1510036  by mtuandrew

If this goes much more OT I’ll split it off, but you forget Minnesota also had CNW and Michigan State had Pete Marquette, I believe. Did Wisconsin-Madison still have its IC branch passenger service at that point?
 #1510120  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Stephens, the parallel topic was my fault; I apologize to you and to the Forum participants.

Since you have chosen to allow the extraneous "stuff" to stand, allow me to add the four schools that have joined the former Big Ten to form the B1G, as the Conference now is stylized (again E to W; rail service when I matriculated Sep '61):

Rutgers: PRR
Maryland: PRR, B&O
Penn State: none
Nebraska: Q
 #1510127  by mtuandrew

No problem, Mr Norman, but I think I will split them into a new topic.

EDIT: split. I’m willing to entertain discussion of other colleges that had passenger service, especially ones for which it was a major draw.
 #1510129  by CarterB

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Stephens, the parallel topic was my fault; I apologize to you and to the Forum participants.

Since you have chosen to allow the extraneous "stuff" to stand, allow me to add the four schools that have joined the former Big Ten to form the B1G, as the Conference now is stylized (again E to W; rail service when I matriculated Sep '61):

Rutgers: PRR
Maryland: PRR, B&O
Nebraska: Q
I think up to circa 1946 the Bellefonte Central had passenger service to Penn State? And I suppose you might
be able to add the ITC for UofI Chambana?
 #1510131  by Gilbert B Norman

OK; let's carry this one step further and address the fourteen universities (main campus) that comprise the B1G (still formally Big Ten) having rail service today (E to W):

Rutgers: Amtrak, NJT
Maryland: Amtrak, MARC
Ohio State: none
Michigan: Amtrak
Michigan State: Amtrak
Indiana: none
Purdue: none
Northwestern: Amtrak, METRA
Illinois: Amtrak
Wisconsin: none
Iowa: none
Minnesota: Amtrak, North Star
Nebraska: Amtrak

Likely the conference at which most main campus with rail service is the Ivy League.
 #1510142  by Bob Roberts

The ACC does pretty well, although its generally poor frequency and/or middle of the night service. All Amtrak unless otherwise noted

From South to North:

Miami: Amtrak (two a day to the North) plus Virgin, plus Tri Rail
FSU: Nope
GA Tech: 1 a day (Crescent, ugh)
Clemson: 1 a day, middle of night Southbound
NCSU, duke, Chapel Hill: 4-5 trains per day (OK, Chapel Hill is about 9 miles from the Durham station but still....)
VA Tech: Throughway bus to Roanoke
UVA: 2 a day
Louisville: Nope
Pitt: 2 a day
Syracuse: 7(?) a day (Empire Service plus Maple Leaf plus Lake Shore)
Boston College: Corridor service, plus Downeaster, plus MBTA
Notre Dame: Capitol Limited plus South Shore trains

I am surprised that there are fewer zeros here than for the big 10(ish).

The mighty SEC does incredibly poorly. Only Alabama and USC have service to their respective towns. If you really want to count the Music City Star then I guess you could include Vandy on that list. (as a former UGA student I would say that Gainsville is a tad to far to consider it to be an easy trip from Athens)
 #1510154  by Gilbert B Norman

CarterB wrote: I suppose you mightt be able to add the ITC for UofI Chambana?
Mr. Morris, the IT folded their passenger "tent" during 1956, but it lived on with the presence of "Maurie the K" Kliebolt and his Illini Railroad Club.

There were times you could walk into his travel agency on Green St and there he was - dressed in an IT Conductor's uniform.
 #1510232  by John_Perkowski

UC Santa Barbara and California Polytechnic San Luis Obispo we’re served by SP.

UCLA and USC were served through SP, ATSF, and UP.

Cal was served by SP and ATSF.

All served by Amtrak.
 #1510233  by John_Perkowski

University of Kansas was served by ATSF and UP.

Nebraska-Lincoln was served by CB&Q

Both are now on the Amtrak vitamin plan: 1 a day.
 #1510237  by Jeff Smith

I can't say I ever took a train to a school; I did, however, ride the newly branded Amtrak Crescent, nee Southern Crescent, in April of 1979 two short months after they divested the remainder of their passenger service, to basic training from Newark NJ to Anniston AL. The military WAS my college!
 #1510255  by John_Perkowski

BYU was served by D&RGW. It’s now on the Amtrak vitamin plan.

University of Wyoming was served by UP. Now, no service.