Houston, TX Transit

General discussion of passenger rail proposals and systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: gprimr1, mtuandrew

Mike Roque

Houston, TX Transit

Post by Mike Roque » Wed May 11, 2005 2:25 pm

A driver died Tuesday night after his pickup truck was struck by a METRORail train, Local 2 reported. METRO officials said this is the first fatal accident involving the light-rail system since the train began running in November 2003.

Full story:
http://www.click2houston.com/news/4475197/detail.html
Mike Roqué
Road Foreman of Engines
Placerville & Sacramento Valley Railroad

Rockingham Racer

Houston: mass transit wasteland

Post by Rockingham Racer » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:57 pm

We all probably know that Houston is the fourth largest city in the US. No commuter rail. One light rail line, recently completed, which motorists keep driving into on the city streets.

I live in Texas, and frankly, I'm amazed at a state that—while it talks a good line about rail transit—doesn't do much to move the situation forward. One wonders if there's an automakers' lobby quashing any rail-oriented initiatives.

So, we're building TOLL ROADS. Now there's the answer!

(Glad I got that off my chest!)
Last edited by Rockingham Racer on Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aline1969

Post by aline1969 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:02 pm

I read last week the have approved a corridor for another light rail route and also selected the south east corridor for a high-end bus-way...like pittsburgh/Ottawa...these work well.
Replace the 57 with the Green Line!!! The people demand more transit, more new routes
$75 K raised for Middlesex & Boston trolley #41 :: Seashore Trolley Museum

Rockingham Racer

Post by Rockingham Racer » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:59 pm

This is true. However, there's a bit of a quibble about which route it will follow. NIMBYism is at play.

Tadman

Post by Tadman » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:06 am

I can't believe the automaker lobby cares about stopping trolleys now. In the 1950's, when a family had one car that it bought every five years, they stood to gain by destroying mass transit. Now that familys have upwards of two cars, and they change as often as every two years, the automakers have other fish to fry, namely their healthcare and unions. I don't think any transit agency would be worried about GM, Ford, or DCX anymore.

CHIP72

Post by CHIP72 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:41 pm

Much of Houston's growth was fueled (pardon the pun) by the oil industry (and much of Houston's growth is a post-WWII phenomenon). Oil companies and car manufacturers are pretty much in each others'...um, pockets. I think that in large part explains the situation in Houston. Not coincidentally, I don't think I'd ever want to live in Houston.
2009 Phillies/Yankees World Series - aka the Acela Series

gt7348b

Post by gt7348b » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:19 am

Actually, Houston's political leadership, elected by its people, decided to invest in HOV lanes in the late '80s or early '90s when they elected Mayro Lanier. With their lack of zoning, which makes it an interesting constrast to the rest of the sunbelt cities, plus their interesing fact that most of Houston is actually in Harris County (most other Sunbelt cities like Dallas or Atlanta have multiple county, let alone municipal, gov'ts to deal with), I'm surprised Houston finally has any type of rail transit at all.
Atlanta - within two and a half hours of . . . the edge of its suburbs

atlantis

Post by atlantis » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:29 pm

I agree with rockingham racer about auto lobbyists meddling.
here on Cape Cod, the Cape Cod commission, which claims to be for the preservation of the Cape, has repeatedly fought against restoration of the popular rail service we had in the eighties. While pushing more buses and road widenings. While our tax-funded passenger rail infrastructure(30 million 1980's dollars) continues to go to waste.
Look for the tell-tale signs such as opposing rail for "environmental" reasons, while these same opponents push for an all-bus transportation system, as well as more roads :(
If Boston to Cape Cod rail service occurs in 2012 I will eat a jelly doughnut dipped in tomato sauce.

Carmine

Re: Houston: mass transit waste land

Post by Carmine » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:18 pm

Rockingham Racer wrote: One wonders if there's an automakers' lobby quashing any rail-oriented initiatives.
I think you hit the nail on the coffin.

modorney

Post by modorney » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:42 am

Houston has that great system of underground pedestrian tunnels, downtown. A Transit connection to that system is a natural.

Houston has a few "edge cities", like the Galleria area. Makes for a little more complicated transit plan, but not insurmountable.

By the way, Chip77, don't forget the Oakland A's:

Use rail to baseball games!

THE BASEBALL LIST (so far):
Phillies (SEPTA MFL or RR & BSL, also Amtrak Keystone)
Orioles (MTA-MD LR)
Nationals (WMATA OL)
Yankees (MTA-NYC D or 4, also NJT M&E - ML)
Mets (MTA-NYC 7, also NJT NEC & MTA-NYC 1/2/3)

Oakland - BART (3 lines) and Amtrak's Capitol Corridors

aline1969

Houston Light Rail

Post by aline1969 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:35 pm

Does anyone know if and when another route will be installed? When I was there Sept 2005 they mentioned the city wanted another line.

Now.. enjoy this clip of the dumb people of Houston as they get rammed by the lightrail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV2rdGX4 ... re=related
Replace the 57 with the Green Line!!! The people demand more transit, more new routes

Rockingham Racer

Re: Houston Light Rail

Post by Rockingham Racer » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:40 pm

Just yesterday, the Houston City Council gave the go-ahead for FIVE more lines, all of which are supposed to be finished by 2012, which I'll believe when I see it.

aline1969

Re: Houston Light Rail

Post by aline1969 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:24 am

Really, that is great news for Houston...built by 2012... yes I will believe that when I see it also :-D but man I wish my home city of Boston can just make those kind of decisions to build more lines...lol

I wonder where I can get a copy of the new route proposals.

raytylicki

Destroyed in Seconds-Houston LR vs Autos

Post by raytylicki » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ctarvAZpGE

Is most of the Dallas Light Rail on its own ROW? This is a good case for having a Auto Free Mall downtown for were the light rail is and a lesson for any city that wants to elminate its transit mall for mixed traffic.

Disney Guy

Re: Destroyed in Seconds-Houston LR vs Autos

Post by Disney Guy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:22 pm

The majority of the Houston route is in the median of a boulevard.

Most of the collisions have occurred on that boulevard.

Most of the collisions were caused by motorists trying to turn left across the tracks and beat the train but making the mistake of slowing down at the last minute so the train caught up with them.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.

Return to “General Discussion - Passenger Rail”