Railroad Forums 

• Is posting certain information on trains illegal?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1366526  by Arborwayfan

Free speech means the government can't stop us from saying what we think (opinions) and probably what we know to be true (because we can see it going on in public places, or because it's been released into the public domain by someone else). It doesn't have anything to do with our employers or customers or even people who sell us stuff prohibiting us from divulging information that they create and control. Eg. I am a professor. I can say that the secretary of education's policy on grades is awful or wonderful until I am blue in the face, but I am forbidden by law to tell you anyone's grade. Sometimes I might think that's a silly law, but I don't see it as a free speech issue.

I guess I'm repeating Engineer Spike's good point, but it's worth repeating.
 #1366714  by ExCon90

An interesting point, and an exact parallel with a railroad employee's situation. Come to think of it, a hazmat placard states exactly what's in the car, enabling first responders to determine, among other things, whether evacuation is necessary and what should and should not be used to put out a fire; however, there's not a word about who's shipping it to whom, or what freight charges are due.
 #1366748  by RRCOMM

Here is something that is not well known regarding monitoring railroad radio transmissions:

Under FCC rules it is perfectly legal to monitor radio transmissions not meant for the general public (radio other than broadcasting).

But under the same FCC rules it is not legal to disclose that information to others with or without intent to profit from that information.

So, legally you are violating the Federal law if you quote the contents of a radio transmission on this (or any other) forum.

Don't know if this has ever been enforced. That's the way understood the rules during my 36 year career as a railroad communications engineer.