Railroad Forums 

• New Challenges for the Stewartstown Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#954561  by 56-57

Shippers on the STRT around 2000? None.

Shippers on the STRT in 1990? Perhaps Mann & Parker lumber.. They had service in the 80's. That's all I've heard reference to.

-Micah
 #954576  by Sir Ray

I see the confusion now.
"thebigham"'s Bing Link from yesterday is wonky - it is of Hagerstown, Maryland, major interchange point for NS/CSX etc - hence the yard full of active rail cars, the 3 large freight customers nearby and so on. Apparently nothing to do with Stewartstown RR.
Yesterday evening I searched for New Freedom Maryland directly, and that yeiided the results that I saw on the Motorcar video, now it makes sense (I guess I just sort of mentally stitched the two maps together).
In New Freedom, seems like only 2-3 potential clients, the one that had the 2 old hopper cars on it siding that they moved in a different video, another 1 or 2 east of that (including the one the track bisects), and one former customer to the West, on high street.
not much, I agree.
 #1084351  by EDM5970

I see, from an ad in Railswap, that Stewartstown is now offering car and locomotive storage. How can that be? Aren't they isolated, due to a bridge or track problem?

Aren't there some coaches and locomotives landlocked there?
 #1084418  by thebigham

^Nothing is "landlocked."

Crews regularly travel up and down the line on motor cars.

I'm sure the storage they are offering is on their tracks closer to New Freedom. Probably a few industry sidings...

Check out my map links above.
 #1084466  by carajul

George Hart ran the company into the ground, as he did the operation in Jim Thorpe. He still ran things like it was 1950. They refused to use computers, the internet, or anything modern in their operation. Customers service simply did not exist. I was in Stewartstown frequently and couldn't believe what I saw. I was like "this his how you operate a business"??? It was basically train watchers and railfans pretending they were fortune 500 CEOs but with NO CLUE as to what they were doing. They just wanted to play with their trains.

Why would he request that his estate be paid $350,000? He has no children or heirs and he's dead for god sake. Does he think he can take the money with him? And why the heck would the company borrow such a huge sum knowing they could never pay it back. Idiots.
 #1084478  by pumpers

thebigham wrote:^Nothing is "landlocked."
Crews regularly travel up and down the line on motor cars..
Do you mean up and down the Stewartsville RR, or from York to New Freedom? Who actually owns, maintains(?) and operates(?) York to New Freedom stretch(the old Northern Central/PRR)? Couldn't find anything at all on the web about its current status (except that it doesn't seem to be the G&W subsidiary York Rail. ) Looking quickly at arial photos, I didn't see anything that looked like a customer south of the southern edge of York. JS
 #1084504  by thebigham

^Stewartstown RR.

York to New Freedom does not have an operator right now.

If they need to move cars for storage... Maybe YR would do it or Stewartstown would rent an engine? I don't know..