Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

sd80mac
Posts: 1914
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:28 am
Location: Rochester, ny

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Post by sd80mac » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:28 pm

thebigham wrote:It gets to Silver Springs around 3pm

How long do it spend time at SS? I'm trying to figure out to see if I can leave work at 3 pm at Hornell and get to SS before it leaves for Rochester?

BR&P
Posts: 4135
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Post by BR&P » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:27 pm

sd80mac wrote:How long do it spend time at SS? I'm trying to figure out to see if I can leave work at 3 pm at Hornell and get to SS before it leaves for Rochester?
I can't answer your question directly, Ken. But our place near DL&W Jct is within earshot and, in winter, sight of the R&S. A ballpark figure is they come back north about 4 hours after they go south. Obviously the exact time can vary widely depending on what they have to deal with on any given trip.

ccutler
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Post by ccutler » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks for posting the update on R&S operations! What is the usual car count on the Rochester/Silver Springs run these days? I remember 100 car trains in 1988...when Kodak was still operating and some coal would run. I'd expect much less now.

BR&P
Posts: 4135
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Post by BR&P » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:15 pm

ccutler wrote:Thanks for posting the update on R&S operations! What is the usual car count on the Rochester/Silver Springs run these days? I remember 100 car trains in 1988...when Kodak was still operating and some coal would run. I'd expect much less now.
I'm not out there often enough to have long-term averages. And sometimes when I hear the train I'm doing something else and don't bother. I think the last time I counted they had 23, but there have been trains I didn't count which were probably in the 65 car range to take a guess.

thebigham
Posts: 3630
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:27 pm
Location: Arcade, NY

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Post by thebigham » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:00 pm

sd80mac wrote:
thebigham wrote:It gets to Silver Springs around 3pm

How long do it spend time at SS? I'm trying to figure out to see if I can leave work at 3 pm at Hornell and get to SS before it leaves for Rochester?
When it got to SS on Thursday. 3 NS trains were going through town so they were delayed a few hours.

thebigham
Posts: 3630
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:27 pm
Location: Arcade, NY

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Post by thebigham » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:02 pm

ccutler wrote:Thanks for posting the update on R&S operations! What is the usual car count on the Rochester/Silver Springs run these days? I remember 100 car trains in 1988...when Kodak was still operating and some coal would run. I'd expect much less now.
On Thursday, 45 cars.

sd80mac
Posts: 1914
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:28 am
Location: Rochester, ny

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Post by sd80mac » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:57 am

BR&P wrote:
sd80mac wrote:How long do it spend time at SS? I'm trying to figure out to see if I can leave work at 3 pm at Hornell and get to SS before it leaves for Rochester?
I can't answer your question directly, Ken. But our place near DL&W Jct is within earshot and, in winter, sight of the R&S. A ballpark figure is they come back north about 4 hours after they go south. Obviously the exact time can vary widely depending on what they have to deal with on any given trip.

4 hours.. that give me better idea... thanks. But now I have to find that thread that you posted about DL&W jct... I forget where this Jct was... man...

BR&P
Posts: 4135
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Post by BR&P » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:27 am

sd80mac wrote:4 hours.. that give me better idea... thanks. But now I have to find that thread that you posted about DL&W jct... I forget where this Jct was... man...
Ballpark 4 miles south of Leroy.

Keep in mind 1) travel time between Silver Springs and DL&W Jct, and 2) their operations can vary greatly from one trip to another.

sd80mac
Posts: 1914
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:28 am
Location: Rochester, ny

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Post by sd80mac » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:15 am

BR&P wrote:
sd80mac wrote:4 hours.. that give me better idea... thanks. But now I have to find that thread that you posted about DL&W jct... I forget where this Jct was... man...
Ballpark 4 miles south of Leroy.

Keep in mind 1) travel time between Silver Springs and DL&W Jct, and 2) their operations can vary greatly from one trip to another.
rule #1.... RR god have control on everything... I'm aware of that :wink:

User avatar
charlie6017
Posts: 3128
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Rochester, New York

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Post by charlie6017 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Hey guys,

My son and I were out for a drive Saturday and headed west on Ballantyne Rd over the R&S road crossing. To my
surprise, all the trees on the east side of the ROW were cleared out for at least a good half mile (and maybe more). I
know there's some kind of pipeline going in nearby. Just an observation -- it seems weird with all those trees gone.

Charlie
~Charlie Ricker

User avatar
FarmallBob
Posts: 660
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Chili, NY

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Post by FarmallBob » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:02 am

The clearing project continues a good 1/2 mile beyond (south of) Brook Rd. It appears both sides of the ROW are being cleared.
charlie6017 wrote: -- it seems weird with all those trees gone.

Charlie
You got that right!!

...FB

BR&P
Posts: 4135
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Post by BR&P » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:04 pm

I agree the clearing is probably pipeline related. It's amazing to see pics of railroad ROW's 100 years ago, when they had section gangs, large labor budgets and fewer regulations against spraying and burning. It was quite common to have the grass short like a lawn, right to the ROW fence, everywhere.

BR&P
Posts: 4135
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Post by BR&P » Wed May 08, 2019 12:22 pm

charlie6017 wrote:Hey guys,

My son and I were out for a drive Saturday and headed west on Ballantyne Rd over the R&S road crossing. To my
surprise, all the trees on the east side of the ROW were cleared out for at least a good half mile (and maybe more). I
know there's some kind of pipeline going in nearby. Just an observation -- it seems weird with all those trees gone.

Charlie
I just made a Harbor Freight run, and the clearing is even more complete than a month ago. Those who are into photography should check out Ballantyne Road. A weekday may not be ideal due to a gazillion trucks, dozers and such, but once the pipeline is done, or maybe on a weekend, you'll have some angles and views not seen since the days of the BR&P.

RailKevin
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:22 pm
Location: Medina, NY

Re: Rochester & Southern Railroad (RSR) Discussion

Post by RailKevin » Sun May 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Looks like metal power line supports going up along the West side of the ROW.

Return to “New York State Railfan”