Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1388801  by SecaucusJunction

The only chance the line would have of seeing any traffic this year would be a reroute of the R&N trains. Next year, when the big ships come in, you can hope NS wants to move some containers to western NY, New England or Canada. With the trash deal being shot down, I don't know where any other traffic would ever come from.
 #1388923  by pumpers

SecaucusJunction wrote: With the trash deal being shot down...
What was this all about? I heard something maybe a year ago about CSX getting a big new trash contract (of NYC garbage, perhaps translated in NJ?), part of which was going to be carried on NYSW, maybe to Syracuse, with the CSX River line too busy with oil??. Does this ring a bell and did anything come of it? Maybe just some regular NYSW 100 and 99 traffic? Jim S
 #1390908  by SecaucusJunction

The Finger Lakes railroad was attempting to ship NYC trash to Seneca Meadows Landfill in the area. The long term deal was recently negated by the NIMBY's in the area (and others that weren't really in the area). NYC now needs to find a new place to send all the trash by the time the Marine Transfer stations open next year.
 #1395745  by waldwickrailfan

Strates train went west on the Tier Wednesday. 2 D9's and an SD90MAC. After trying to have the train go west with 1 engine, and finding the E-bell was stolen at Middletown, they got the previous night's H70 power (D9 and 90MAC) from Hillburn. Finally west west from Middletown around 4:45pm. I chased it to Binghamton. It was daylight up to Hancock
 #1395911  by pumpers

Speaking of Hancock, way back when, was there ever a connection between the Erie and the NYO&W Scranton branch at Hancock? From old maps it doesn't look like it, with the NYO&W (now Route 17 east of town) being much higher and passing over the Erie which was down by the water. But I thought I would check. JS
 #1396204  by Matt Langworthy

The difference in elevation between the Erie and O&W would have made for a rather steep grade if a connecting track had been built. Both RRs needed their track gangs to repair flood damage, which probably could have been done faster than constructing a connecting track at Hancock.
 #1427342  by ricebrianrice

Two "F" style Units are sitting next to Front Street in Binghamton on NYSW
GSLX 1306 & GSLX 1304. Any ideas what they are, and where they are going?
Attachments:
F Units.JPG
F Units.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 5983 times
 #1427438  by MACTRAXX

Matt Langworthy wrote:The F units are going to the Stourbridge RR for excursion service.
RBR and Matt: Those two F units are former CP/AMT (Montreal) in two distinct color schemes.
Good to know that the Stourbridge (DL&S) Railroad will preserve them...
http://www.thestourbridgeline.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX
 #1444291  by oibu

Yes, unfortunately. Track the last few years is back to CR stack train era conditions, but still no trains. Maybe the handout from NYS for the bridge (even after all of the tax breaks NS has already been given) will at least slightly temper NS' continued efforts to still fight the civil war, but aside from a major regime change in upper management, I've about given up on these guys. 20 years of broken promises at this point. I can't think of one thing NS was claiming they would do in NY back in 1998 that has actually taken place (other than finally doing the bridge, thanks to NYS coin) as we head toward 2018.