Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#858143  by northjerseybuff

Sounds good...while not as intense as west of Binghamton..it is a good sign. Now if NS would pour some money(real money) for upgrades..it can be a real railroad again. Are there still spring switches along the line? I would think these would be replaced. Also what are the speeds of the track? Any news of qualifying new crews on this section??
 #858144  by northjerseybuff

Sounds good...while not as intense as west of Binghamton..it is a good sign. Now if NS would pour some money(real money) for upgrades..it can be a real railroad again. Are there still spring switches along the line? I would think these would be replaced. Also what are the speeds of the track? Any news of qualifying new crews on this section??
 #858182  by SecaucusJunction

It seems like someone is already spending real money on this line since they say it will be 40mph railroad. It wasn't that high under most of Conrail...

The only other thing they could do is change out the rest of the stick rail and change the spring switches. If I remember correctly, I think a few were already changed to controlled sidings.

The signals from Sparrow east are responsibility of Metro North. I haven't heard of any plans to remove it
 #858415  by chief

Quick answer's
CP-Sanford is between Deposit and East of Gulf Summit.
No pictures. Speed limit 25-30. No info on Port Jervis. Spring switchs still at Nobodys,Narrows.Shohola, and Parkers
Steve a-k-a Chief
 #858455  by SemperFidelis

About two weeks ago there was a lot of trackwork being done near Lackawaxen. Ties and damaged spikes were being replaced.
 #859037  by dtravisjr

Looks like surfacing work is going to start down that way. There is a large cut of loaded ballast cars in the consist of tomorrows (Sun 10/10) SU100 sitting in Binghamton. Im not sure of the exact amount but I would say at least 12-15 cars, maybe more.

Dave
 #860417  by SecaucusJunction

Are there still empty intermodal cars on the sidings up that way?
 #861719  by SecaucusJunction

The actual application for the TIGER grant states that NS and PANYNJ already have an agreement in place to run double stack trains between NJ and Buffalo around the end of 2010. The Bridge replacement would be to ensure that this traffic does not go back to trucks in case of bridge failure....

Take it for what it's worth...
 #861775  by century430

I think I read someplace recently that the Bergen Tunnel project is completed. Wasn't that also one of the projects needing completion for more traffic to head from the Ports to the Tier?

Jim Rowland
 #861817  by blockline4180

century430 wrote:I think I read someplace recently that the Bergen Tunnel project is completed. Wasn't that also one of the projects needing completion for more traffic to head from the Ports to the Tier?

Jim Rowland
True, but as of now, they will probably still reroute them around the Tier any way they can!!
I still don't see the evidence of the crew hirings for this..Sorry.
 #861843  by K4Pacific

I know they just hired 5 for Binghamton, but the union rep said that they are for Mechanicsville increase traffic. I sooner think crews would come out of Newark/Oak Island and layover Binghamton. Right now no Binghamton crews go west to Buffalo. They're Buffalo crews only head west after rest.

I would think 1st Quarter 2011 would be start up of this service.
 #862177  by conrailsharedassets

I did hear they hired more crews for Binghamton. I was not sure why but as you say its for increased Mechanicville Intermodal Traffic. I'm going to assume these crews will be working south out of Binghamton on the D&H, as all of the NS trains except 930/931-30T/31T working north of Binghamton utilize CP crews. But all NS trains running south out of Binghamton utilize NS crews. Unless of course this is gonna change for the Freight Sub and NS will take over the 205 (939) 206 (938) 23K (935) 22K (934) trains with their own crews.

I have also noticed that Binghamton is still an active hire point on the NS website as well as Buffalo and have heard from others NS is looking to fill a number of additional positions out of Binghamton and Buffalo.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jim