Railroad Forums 

• New York State Roundhouses

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#766435  by StLouSteve

Current Trains Magazine issue has article on roundhouses and on their web site, they have a list of all still standing broken down by state. I noticed that some in NY State were missing including the BR&P one in Rochester.
 #766486  by nydepot

Google maps:

Find the location on Google maps. Make sure you click twice in the area where the roundhouse is to center the map on that point. Don't go into street view mode. Then click the "Link" button in the upper right.

Copy the line in the "Paste link in email..." field and paste into your favorite word processing program. It looks like this (I removed http so rr.net wouldn't turn it into a link):

maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=buffalo,+NY&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Buffalo,+Erie,+New+York&gl=us&ei=qsloS5jQONHYlAfYxMyJCA&ved=0CA0Q8gEwAA&ll=42.828285,-78.807678&spn=0.001863,0.002291&t=h&z=19

Find the "&ll" part and the lat/lon are right after it. From above: 42.828285,-78.807678

You can pass these around, paste them into Google maps later on, Google Earth, your favorite mapping program, etc.

Charles
 #766515  by tree68

I like http://mapper.acme.com/.

It shows you the lat/lon of the crosshairs at the center of the screen, and in addition to the satellite images (with and without road overlay) provides aerial photos, a topo map ("DOQ"), and even a NEXRAD overlay. You can search based on lat/lon in any format or by name.

A caveat - if you've done a lot of searches, the link it gives you can be pretty long. You need to clear that out from time to time.
 #766519  by Matt Langworthy

scottychaos wrote:DL&W - East Binghamton (Conklin) yard, pit and bridge intact. abandoned.
Erie RR - Elmira - 1 stall standing, (doesnt really count as an intact roundhouse IMO.)
IIRC, that last remaining stall of the Erie roundhouse in Elmira was torn down a year or two ago.

The Kanona & Prattsburgh had a turntable and single stall engine house in Prattsburgh.
 #766565  by sd80mac

nydepot wrote:
Find the "&ll" part and the lat/lon are right after it. From above: 42.828285,-78.807678

You can pass these around, paste them into Google maps later on, Google Earth, your favorite mapping program, etc.

Charles
got it thanks! I never noticed that coordinates were in the link...
 #766702  by Paul W. Brasky

I saw your post and wonder if you know there was a 3 bay
(?) roundhouse in Kingston at the far end of Kingston's North Yard? It was
demolished sometime after 1978, but the turntable pit is still partially visible
from Rte. 9W or from the passing track on what is now CSX's River Sub. It is
between MP's 89 and 90. I have a few slides of it in case you want to take a
look.
 #766713  by scottychaos

Thanks Charles!
correction made..
Paul W. Brasky wrote:I saw your post and wonder if you know there was a 3 bay
(?) roundhouse in Kingston at the far end of Kingston's North Yard? It was
demolished sometime after 1978, but the turntable pit is still partially visible
from Rte. 9W or from the passing track on what is now CSX's River Sub. It is
between MP's 89 and 90. I have a few slides of it in case you want to take a
look.
Paul,
where is this turntable pit?
I just scanned the yard with Bing maps..im not seeing an obvious turntable pit artifact..
what are the closest streets?

Thats probably a NYC - Westshore yard I would think?

thanks,
Scot
 #766721  by sd80mac

scottychaos wrote: DL&W - Syracuse - Fayette yard.
here's additional info-

historic - 43.045072,-76.173921
 #766742  by Paul W. Brasky

Scot, The pic of the roundhouse looks larger than the one in Kingston, plus it's lacking the office, crew room and shop, but my memory could be faulty. The turntable pit has been mostly filled in, but you can see some of it from Rte 9W, between MAC Fitness and Miron Cement. Although the roundhouse area is now fenced, you can get a better look by parking at MAC and carefully walking south along the passing track. There's more than enough room to do so, but the footing isn't the best. The remains of the roundhouse and turntable pit will be on your left.
 #766756  by FarmallBob

scottychaos wrote:NYC (Westshore) - Genesee Junction, (Rochester) turntable only, never was a roundhouse.
Scot -

Genesee Jct pit coords = 43.0981 N; 77.6901 W

Bob