Railroad Forums 

• Unfinished lines in the upper Delaware and Schoharie Valleys

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#374281  by Shawn

I don't believe you'll be able to see this caboose from the road. It's roughly 1/2 mile off the road. I've driven all over this county and haven't seen another caboose. What road are you on?
 #375929  by RussNelson

ChiefTroll wrote: The D&E grade extended from Grand Gorge to near Prattsville when they ran out of cash, and that was it.
Do you know where the grade ran?

Here's the route I speculate it took:
http://rutlandtrail.org/list.cgi?delawa ... d.ny.track

But I have no guess beyond Prattsville other than "follow the Schoharie river" downstream to Middleburgh.

#376497  by Shawn

I was looking around and I saw this article from KaatsKill Life 1988 ...
Anyone every see this article? it is for sale on Ebay
Winter 1988-89 issue of Kaatskill Life magazine.
Railroaded to the Catskills. Includes photos of/from: The Roscoe O & W Railway Museum; two page map titled, "Chasing a Ghost: New York Ontario & Western Railway" a recent view of what was once the station building in Monticello, NY (now used by Van Etten Oil Company as their office; Monticello was once the terminus for the Monticello and Port Jervis Railroad); a recent view of what was once Gilman's Depot (the station stop at Gilman's on the Monticello to Port Jervis branch was also called St, Josephs); a recent view of the Wurtsboro Station (which became the Wurtsboro Museum); a trail that was once the O&W right of way; the ruins of the Summitville station; photos from the silver anniversary of the Ontario & Western Railroad Historical Society; turn of the century view of the St, Joseph's station (Gilman's) showing the original metal roof, rustic platform furniture, and baggage carts; A Y Class 4-8-2 Ontario & Western heavy mountain steam engine sppeding a long frieght past Summitville heading south; The Summitville station and platform as it looked in the early 1900's; A crowd watching the steam engine at Summitville while in the background a three car passenger train makes its way up the mainline toward South Fallsburg and Liberty; a U Class, 2-6-0, "Camelback" steam locomotove pulling a passenger train stands at the Mamakating station near Wurtsboro, NY on the Ontario & Western mainline in the early 1900's
 #418109  by henry6

Summer '07 issue of KAATSKILL LIFE has story on M&S, SV, and Schoharie Museum.

#459684  by werick

Hi All:

I too am interested in this DE/DN failed expansion. I've read of the grading done in the Scanectady direction. Was any grading done in the Wilkes Barre direction? I assume it would have taken a course west of East Branch towards Equinunk. That's some rough terrain there.

Thanks
 #525585  by RussNelson

ChiefTroll wrote:The U&D Society, a few years ago, set out to explore that grade west of Stamford. It is easy to locate exactly where it leaves the U&D behind the greenhouse in Stamford, and to follow it along the tree line behind the late Herb Darling's farm. Herb told me once that there was a cut where the line curved away from Peters Road, but the farmers filled it after the railroad abandoned construction. We didn't find the end of the grading that day, but a later excursion which I couldn't make found an abrupt end to the a cut in the woods just west of there, which seems to be the west end of the grading operation.
Photos here: http://flickr.com/photos/russnelson/set ... 544209330/
Heading southeast from the unfinished cut is a fill, and at the end of the fill is a line of rocks, undoubtedly the foundation of an abutment.