Railroad Forums 

• Palm Loch sleeper at Hamburg cut up, PRR cab in E.A.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#209305  by BSOR Patarak

The Palm Loch Amtrak Sleeper that has been stored at Hamburg on the BSOR is scheduled to be cut up for scrap. It has long been sitting near the Hamburg Train Station. It has been badly vandalized and recently set on fire. The Village requested that something be done about it.

So, sometime after the 30th of Jan it is scheduled to be cut up. This was an ex Santa Fe car wasn't it? Seemed to have been in pretty good shape until recently.

Pat Connors
BSOR

#209430  by Howiew

That car is not owned by the WNYRHS, at least according to their web site.

#210318  by smph50

:-) Hi Guys! The "Palm Loch" was never one of ours nor the Caboose. I believe they were both owned by the same person who moved the caboose to East Aurora now as an Ice Cream Stand in 1998? None of its pieces and parts would fit any of our fleet so we had no interest in it.

#210365  by caboose9

smph50 said, "... moved the caboose to East Aurora as an Ice Cream Stand in 1998?"

Hi,

I assume that's East Aurora, NY.

Does anyone know what caboose it is?

I list a PC #?/CR #?, steel, style?, caboose at BSOR, Union & Scott Sts., Hamburg, NY. I suspect this is the one that moved.

I list 6 WNYRHS cabooses at this location: DL&W 906, ERIE C216, LV 95050, NKP 412, NYC 19602, & VGN 306.

Thanks, Roger

#211683  by BSOR Patarak

The Palm Loch and caboose in question (before it was moved) belonged to Winter's Railroad Services (not the Rigging group). This is the same Winter's that owned all of the S2's at North Collins.

The Palm Loch is now complete scrap. It was shredded into pieces and is being loaded into containers to be processed. Nothing recognizable is left of it, and all debris should be picked up this coming week.

#211765  by caboose9

BSOR Patarak said, "The Palm Loch and caboose in question (before it was moved) belonged to Winter's Railroad Services (not the Rigging group)."

Hi,

Does anyone know what caboose Winter's RR Services had and where it went?

Was this the Winter's car: PC #?/CR #?, steel, style?, caboose at BSOR, Union & Scott Sts., Hamburg, NY?

Thanks, Roger

#211886  by smph50

:P Hi Roger! Took a little digging to find the particulars but here you go:
ex. PRR - numbers unknown, Conrail 19190R - N-5, All Steel, Center Cupola, Arch Bar Trucks. This photo is from when the caboose was still in Hamburg, NY. 1997. The inside was gutted on site and the guys doing the work were worried it wouldn't make the 7 mile trip to East Aurora, NY. because they removed everything! A few cross braced 2x4's helped stiffen things up.
Sincerely,

#211920  by BR&P

Nice photo Scott! However, those are not arch bar trucks in the picture - did they change trucks when they moved it?

#212167  by smph50

:wink: Good eye! How about Barrett-Whitehead 2A-F2 Caboose Trucks? Cast side frames and elliptical springs. As far as I know the trucks went with the caboose to East Aurora. I've got eyes out looking for it now. Can't take credit for the photo, give it to Rich Siller!

#212233  by MarkT

smph50 wrote: moved the caboose to East Aurora now as an Ice Cream Stand in 1998?
Where is there an ice cream caboose in EA? You sure this isn't the ice cream caboose that's in West Seneca on Union Road?

#212277  by caboose9

MarkT said,"Are you sure this isn't the ice cream caboose that's in West Seneca on Union Road?"

Hi Mark,

The caboose in West Seneca is reported as ex-CN.

Is it a cupola van?

Roger

#212278  by caboose9

smph50 said, "PRR numbers unknown, Conrail 19190R - N-5, steel, center cupola."

Thanks for the photo and the information!

It's ex-PRR 477220 built 9/18.

Roger

#214599  by smph50

:P Hi Roger and All! Found the Caboose! It is on the corner of Oakwood Street and Elm Street in "Downtown" East Aurora. Give this "local live" site a minute to load. If it does not "birds eye" right away, click on the intersection.

http://local.live.com/?v=2&sp=aN.42.765 ... %20Caboose

#214641  by caboose9

smph50 said, "Found the caboose on the corner of Oakwood and Elm Street in East Aurora."

Nice! Thanks, Roger