Railroad Forums 

• 2019 Spring Train Show Listing

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1498769  by lvrr325

IMHO it was not that crowded until noon, then it was packed.

People there tell me it was less busy on Sunday but that's normal at pretty much any two day show.
 #1498867  by tree68

Saturday was a zoo at Springfield from what I saw from our booth, and a trip through the buildings. Sunday wasn't as busy, and more family-centric.

The attendance was reported as 17,154 gate; 21,004 total population. I'd guess 10,000 of that was on Saturday.
 #1499269  by umtrr-author

The Western New York Model Engineers are reporting that the TCA Show at Edgerton Community Center in Rochester, scheduled for February 23, has been cancelled.

That's two years in a row. Doesn't bode well. This is the location that also has the O Scale "Four Seasons" exhibit.

http://www.edgertonmodelrailroadclub.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1499348  by lvrr325

I'm not seeing on this website where it's cancelled. Is there any direct link to indicate what's going on?
 #1499369  by Otto Vondrak

Hi Everyone-

I'm organizing a small 40-table train show in Buffalo for June 2, 2019, as part of the NYCSHS National Convention.

http://railfan.com/wrp_timetable/nycshs ... rain-show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am seeking vendors for this show, please contact me if you are interested.

-otto-
 #1499630  by lvrr325

One last detail on Utica; they've sent out a mailer giving vendors the option to get a refund, let the money carry over to 2020, or donate it to the TTCS.

Otto, you probably should have someone give the WNY dealers a flyer at Hamburg, Greenberg Rochester or Batavia. I know exactly who I'd hand them to, if I think of it out there I'll let some of them know about it.
 #1500794  by umtrr-author

So, while the Western New York Model Engineers reported (on their website) that the TCA Show at Edgerton Community Center in Rochester, scheduled for February 23, has been cancelled... I spoke to someone who's in direct contact with the organizer of that show who indicated that as of two weeks ago, it was still on.

I don't know what to believe. Fortunately, it is a short drive on Saturday to find out first hand. That is what happened last year-- showed up, no one there, doors locked.

The notice for the show remains on the club's website, buried in "Layout Tours." If I recall correctly, that same notice was how I checked the date last year, except there was no show.

https://edgertonmodelrailroadclub.com/p ... age10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still hoping for the best here. The club deserves our support. Even if I don't buy anything (which is often), it's worth kicking $5 to help them out.
 #1500885  by lvrr325

I never was able to find where they said it was cancelled. I didn't even think to ask around over the weekend or look over the table with the flyers for it.

I did see Charlie's Toys and Trains has a show at the Ismalia Shrine Center in March which I missed in the initial listing, and they did one Oct 21 which I also missed. I need to find the flyer for it but it might be the week after the TCA does one in the same place. Nothing online for it that I can find.

As for Hamburg, I don't have my book handy to compare but I believe it was below average sales. Crowds seemed normal, just not many interested in buying what I had to offer. Then again I saw a lot of good deals on other tables that didn't sell either. I did hear one guy say he did better than in November - but at least three vendors who attended then went elsewhere this time, including one of the regulars. But I more do this one for the fun of finding what others are dumping.
 #1500902  by umtrr-author

And now the WNYRHS Calendar of Events...

I hope this URL works: http://trainweb.org/wnyrhs/calendarFrame2Source1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...is showing the February 23 show on the calendar...

TCA Rochester Toy Train Meet Train Collectors Association - 10am - 3pm. All gauge show. $5.00 Adults.
Over 100 tables, Edgerton Community Center, 41 Backus Street, Rochester NY. 13209.

I give up on these notices... but I will show up...
 #1501006  by smph50

Hi Guys,

I have removed the TCA Rochester Train Show, February 23rd Show from the WNYRHS Calendar.

Their event coordinator has confirmed the show was cancelled.

Thanks to all of you who attended our show this past weekend. Bringing back the NOME layouts really helped attendance.

Sincerely, Scott H.
 #1501087  by lvrr325

Okay, with that show officially cancelled, that leaves the Syracuse Model Railroad Club show in Eastwood for Sunday. This is a small show but a big fundraiser for the club and it's only $4 to attend with a $12 max rate for the whole family. I will be there.

http://www.syracusemodelrr.org/OnePage2019.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1501591  by umtrr-author

Well... no on the Edgerton event. It did in fact take place yesterday. I was there.

What apparently happened is that the TCA cancelled the show as their event. However, the Edgerton Club hosted a show anyway. There were not that many tables although attendance was OK.

For next year's calendar, the Edgerton Club has already scheduled the date-- February 29, 2020 (Leap Year Day). I assume this will have zero afflilation with the TCA and therefore they will not spread the story that what has now become a competing event is cancelled.
 #1501687  by lvrr325

I heard the same today, that they held their show anyways without the TCA. I have a hard time taking the TCA seriously between stuff like this and their habit of scheduling shows with no regard for what other shows are out there. What I heard was the attendance was pretty low, someone from that group will have to chime in I suppose.

Eastwood today was probably about average, I sold more there than I did at Hamburg which I expected but not to an exponential degree, which occasionally happens. I didn't catch a count on attendance but I think it was a little lower than previous years; I know several people I expected to see were not there. A few regular vendors were absent, too, they could have sold a few more tables if anyone had wanted them. Everyone there did seem to be pleased with their sales, though. I certainly was, only one year did I do what I felt was poorly there.

I did hear through the grapevine that Hamburg saw 3700 or so through the door. That feels about right with what my sales were.
 #1502464  by lvrr325

No complaints from Greenberg, attendance looked good, sales a little above average. A few good deals to be had.