Railroad Forums 

• Concrete phone booth

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1486021  by greenwichlirr

I recall seeing one "dumped" in the woods just east of the Erie Port Jervis depot. Grant it, this was 20-25 years ago, but I highly doubt it got up and walked away.

A more local person would be able to confirm or deny.
 #1486142  by ACM

Mr. BR&P...Those three pictures are priceless. I'm 56 years old and have lived in Greece for most of my life. The coal docks closed down when I was eight years old so every image that shows up is a thrill. There are many questions I have that I'll address on an older thread. Thanks for sharing!!!
 #1486156  by BR&P

ACM wrote: Mr. BR&P...Those three pictures are priceless. I'm 56 years old and have lived in Greece for most of my life. The coal docks closed down when I was eight years old so every image that shows up is a thrill. There are many questions I have that I'll address on an older thread. Thanks for sharing!!!
I'm happy I can contribute! Before I discovered cars and girls, I spent all my time on the B&O and NYC anywhere between Charlotte and Emerson Street. A great deal of that time was at the docks, either at the docks itself or wherever the crew was switching. Many days I'd be at the docks two or even three times over the course of the day.

Many of the crews were great about giving rides. One time two of us were trackside when B&O pulled by and on the back platform was a brakeman we knew. We trotted alongside as we asked some question, and finally he said "What the **** are you running for? Get on!" It was a fascinating operation and while I may have missed steam, I'm very thankful I was able to see the docks in operation - not just from standing at a road, but from almost every aspect of it.

Getting back to the topic at hand, that phone booth at Dock Junction was used a lot by the crew when they arrived. Sometimes they would have the work all dictated from when they left Brooks Ave. But if there was a boat loading or they didn't have specifics, they would go to that booth and ring 1 long and 1 short on the crank phone. The Docks clerk would answer and tell them what track to store their cars on, or to begin by pulling empties off the trestle, or whatever work was urgently needed. On the other hand, offhand I don't remember ever seeing a crew use that other booth at Feldspar Jct.
 #1486172  by sd80mac

ACM wrote:The orange circle is not the site of the existing phone booth. If you go to the map on your device, follow Burley Road from Lake Avenue to the cul de sac. At about 2 o'clock is a house with a large above ground pool. Almost directly northeast of the pool is the existing booth. It seems as if that could be its original location.
Thanks! Looked thru googleearth thru couple of aerial shots - no luck finding it.
 #1487178  by BR&P

I see the NY State forum has had TWO posts already today, about double the daily average. At the risk of overloading things, I'll make #3. :wink:

Came across this pic I took in 1963, give or take. It's that phone booth at Dock Junction, taken a bit closer and at a different angle than the other shot in case someone needs details for a model. The crew was on their way down to the docks. At right is conductor Herb Bloss. The young brakeman I don't have a name for, but I believe he came up this way from around Punxsutawney - possibly got bumped down there and did not have enough seniority so he was working up here.
Dock Jct B&O 1962 or 1963 - Copy.jpg
Dock Jct B&O 1962 or 1963 - Copy.jpg (517.76 KiB) Viewed 3483 times
 #1487210  by BR&P

And in my spare time :wink: one of these days I have to get my 8mm color movies from that era converted to digital. Every so often I talk about doing it but have not done so. Going to DL&W Jct. for a couple days, maybe when we get back home I'll get into that.

If I get that done, and figure how to grab a still off the movie at any given spot, I'd be able to keep you guys excited for quite a while.

(and as an encouraging but off-topic aside - my ongoing effort to clean out the basement resulted yesterday in my finding a bunch of VCR tapes I had misplaced. I don't suppose anybody would want to see in-cab action of an emergency practice drill OMID staged, where a 25-car train hit a van on a crossing at 30 mph :-D )
 #1487342  by Gyro

The booth is inside the circle. The black line is a new walkway to the path.
 #1487343  by Gyro

The booth is overgrown with green stuff. No one is keeping it clear out. No paint as far as I can tell.
 #1487389  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:And in my spare time :wink: one of these days I have to get my 8mm color movies from that era converted to digital. Every so often I talk about doing it but have not done so. Going to DL&W Jct. for a couple days, maybe when we get back home I'll get into that.

If I get that done, and figure how to grab a still off the movie at any given spot, I'd be able to keep you guys excited for quite a while.

(and as an encouraging but off-topic aside - my ongoing effort to clean out the basement resulted yesterday in my finding a bunch of VCR tapes I had misplaced. I don't suppose anybody would want to see in-cab action of an emergency practice drill OMID staged, where a 25-car train hit a van on a crossing at 30 mph :-D )

DL&W Jct?
 #1487393  by BR&P

sd80mac wrote:DL&W Jct?
Well, in an historical context, of course. Our other place is only a half mile from there as the crow flies.
 #1487399  by CPSmith

DL&W Junction. The train is northbound. The track on the left is what remained of the connector to the DL&W in the southeast quadrant.
 #1487470  by sd80mac

Yeah. but where is it at? That's first time I heard of DLW jct... I don't think that's at Caledonia...
 #1487473  by CPSmith

Rt. 20 is just a little south of here, with Pavilion just south of that. From earlier maps, it appears the DL&W went over the BR&P so there's no actual interlocking (although who knows a century prior). I guess the connectors constitute the junction. In my photo, I'm standing at the crossing on Junction Rd. facing south, so the BR&P/DL&W crossing is a football field (or so) behind me. Notice how the trail property (on the map, anyway) includes the connectors in the southeast quadrant.