Railroad Forums 

• Jim Shaughnessy 1933-2018

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1482225  by charlie6017

Rest in Peace, Jim and thanks for all the great photos. 😢

TROY, N.Y. – Of all the pioneers who revolutionized railroad photography in the postwar decades, few equal the status of Jim Shaughnessy, one of the deans of the field, especially as measured by his powerful images from the steam-to-diesel era of the 1950s and ’60s.

Shaughnessy died Tuesday, Aug. 7, after a long illness. He was 84.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... nessy-dies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1482243  by NJRAILNUT

The Rutland Road.

My dad grew up near the Rutland and had extremely fond memories of their waning years in the late 50s and early 60s. Jim's definitive book on the Rutland was read, then re-read, at least two or three times per year in my household growing up. I think it was the first train book I ever read start to finish, probably around age 10 or so. Absolutely magnificent piece of work. The mind boggles to think about all the history that would have been lost if Jim hadn't been there to document it. What a legend.

RIP. Thanks for the memories and many hours of reading pleasure you provided.
 #1482353  by Safetee

I met Jim over fifty years ago on an Empire Museum/VTR first passenger special from Bennington to Rutland. My youthful management summary was that Jim was a great guy with a great book. I bought his signed Rutland book on the return run. I continued to see Jim on and off over the years mainly on VTR adventures. The last time I saw him was on a VTR officials special from Rutland to Chester around 2010. While Jim and I both looked a little bit older since that first VTR trip, I though to myself that his terrific b&w pix will never get old. Truly some of the best shots from northern New England were done by Jim Shaughnessy. You will be missed Jim.