Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

hojack

Re: Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion - 2015

Post by hojack » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:24 pm

Amen ! You hit it on the head. I don't have much computer skill, but someone should post a recent column in the Adirondack Daily Enterprise, ( ADE ) entitled the Adirondack Crab Bucket. That really nails how Keet , Tony, and Goodwin have operated. It is very interesting reading, And research Keet's campaign and PAC contributions to the " Progressives " and other Cuomo favored recipient's.

greenwichlirr

Post by greenwichlirr » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:14 pm

https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.c ... l?nav=5282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Adirondack crab bucket
March 4, 2016
By LARRY ROTH
Save |

One of the things the rail-trail fight has brought to light is rather disturbing. A number of commenters have attacked the operators of the rail bike business as getting rich at their expense because they are using a public resource for private gain.

Dick Beamish spelled it out in a letter to the Adirondack Daily Enterprise on Feb. 2: "The goal of the rail bike entrepreneurs is to appropriate a public asset (our railroad corridor) for their own profit. In so doing they would deny free and full use of the corridor to the general public, just as the tourist train operators have been doing for the past 20 years. Catchpoole and Lu would privatize and monopolize what could be, as they themselves acknowledge, 'a great asset to locals.'"

Mr. Beamish is, to put it kindly, confusing a number of things to paint a false picture. Catchpoole and Lu invested their own money to build a business that brings in visitors, employs local people, generates business for others in the area, and contributes to the local tax base. Anyone could do what they have done. So why are they being attacked?

greenwichlirr

Post by greenwichlirr » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:32 pm

I did some digging, as this is the first I have learned of Curt's group, and my God....another ARTA.

For the record, this is Curt's exact post from 8-21-15: "Tony Goodwin of ARTA (and famous for his other efforts) paid us a visit last night. He recounted the fascinating history of the Tupper-Placid corridor, and gave us some tips on how to proceed."

Drag you in, Tony? It seems you jumped in on your own quite nicely. I guess it's what makes you 'famous', right?

griffs20soccer

Post by griffs20soccer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:15 am

This why there is a need for a pro rail group to call the trail groups on their BS. It's sad that railroads like ADRR, CMRR, and S&NC that are doing good things for the communities they are in, get drug through the mud and life made miserable by these selfish politicians and special interest groups. Yet if you have half a brain and do a little, a very little research you see the house of cards that is the trail panacea. I've been calling BS on the Post Star articles about making the line a trail, but how many people read or believe the comments. I'll keep up the fight but now I know how discouraging it is for people like Matt, Ernie, Otto, Ed Ellis and others who have to deal with these people.
Don

sd80mac

Post by sd80mac » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:26 am

Maybe it's time for ADRR, CMRR, and S&NC to extend their invitation to Cuomo and his family, especially grandchildren, to their property and for a ride. And they should give him the history and the issues that they're facing.

They need to go around and go straight to "The Man".

traingeek8223

Post by traingeek8223 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:36 pm

Maybe it's time for ADRR, CMRR, and S&NC to extend their invitation to Cuomo and his family, especially grandchildren, to their property and for a ride. And they should give him the history and the issues that they're facing.
ADK did just this last year or the year before. He sent his deputy.
Matt Giardino
ALCO Historical & Technical Society

"To journey on the rails once more, really would be fine...
Just one more chance to ride again, on the Grand Adirondack Line."

sd80mac

Post by sd80mac » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:17 pm

traingeek8223 wrote:
ADK did just this last year or the year before. He sent his deputy.
They should mentioned that invitation is "NON-TRANSFERABLE" ADK conductor should had reject Deputy because his name is not on the TICKET that ADK issued to Cuomo and his family.

sd80mac

Post by sd80mac » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:19 pm

Anyway, I think that it's time for these 3 to band together and get their spoken across the capital and Cuomo's office...

no more sitting duck... "it's not gonna happen to us" is out of the window.

Dick H

Post by Dick H » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:33 pm

New S&NC Contract Passed by Warren County after Shelving It. (Post-Star)

http://poststar.com/news/local/warren-c ... f99c4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

griffs20soccer

Post by griffs20soccer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:25 pm

Curt and his minions lost which is great news. Does anyone know if Curt Austin is even a resident of Warren County? Oh well at least we'll have the S&NC for 5 more years. Hopefully they will finally get some more constant freight business.

griffs20soccer

Post by griffs20soccer » Mon May 23, 2016 6:47 am

Here is a picture of something I didn't think I would ever see. A matching set of BL2's operating in 2016.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/577302/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's good to S&NC back up and running for the new season.

johnpbarlow

Post by johnpbarlow » Mon May 23, 2016 6:54 am

That is truly amazing! At the risk of being nit-picky, I'm curious if you think S&NC will paint a couple of blue bands on the 2nd unit so it matches the the lead unit?

oibu

Post by oibu » Tue May 24, 2016 10:24 am

I can't speak for the railroad's plans, but I would "generally assume" that since the paint application is otherwise completely identical, that it is "probably" just a case of getting the unit out pulling trains and finish the painting the next time it's convenient. Does S&NC have indoor painting capability or are they at the mercy of weather? That could also be a factor.

traingeek8223

Post by traingeek8223 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:56 am

I've been told by a source at the railroad that the 56 needs a generator and is only being used as a control cab at this time.
Matt Giardino
ALCO Historical & Technical Society

"To journey on the rails once more, really would be fine...
Just one more chance to ride again, on the Grand Adirondack Line."

Otto Vondrak

Post by Otto Vondrak » Wed May 25, 2016 11:34 am

While we are talking about paint, I thought I would note that so far SNC is the only Iowa Pacific operation to have its own distinct color scheme. The other Iowa Pacific routes all use equipment decorated in an attractive rendition of Illinois Central brown and orange...

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

Return to “New York State Railfan”