Railroad Forums 

• D&H South End Sale to NS - APPROVED 5/15/15

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1271826  by SecaucusJunction

That's been the word on the street for years now.
 #1271828  by blockline4180

Yes, but where is MP 486 exactly???
 #1271841  by bwparker1

newpylong wrote:Word on the street - CP-Kase to MP 486 imminent. CP won't give up GE, MX or Albany.
Can you elaborate on these locations for those of us that don't know what GE or MX are?
 #1271847  by malfunctjct

MP 486 is a little south of CPF 485 in Schenectady (Amtrak Connection). The GE (General Electric) Plant is just south of CPF 485 and ships High and Wide loads normally to Kenwood. MP 486 is the south end of the siding for the GE Plant.

I am assuming MX is Momentive? Not really sure where they are located except somewhere in the Albany area. I don't think NS was even looking at acquiring trackage where Momentive is. I know I have never passed it...

On the rumor front. Yes this particular rumor has been going strong for about a week or so now. Different events have been fueling the fire. Time will tell. I will believe it when I see it on the STB website......

Edit: After a little searching Momentive is located in Waterford, NY which is timetable north of Mechanicville. Between Mechanicville and Kenwood.
 #1271851  by newpylong

MX is Mohawk.

The last point of contention in the sale was how far north the limits of the transaction would be. It appears to have been worked out. If the word is true I would expect the filings soon. Time will tell.
 #1271856  by scottychaos

If I am reading this correctly, we are talking about the D&H/CP from Sunbury PA all the way to Albany NY?
basically all of CP's route south of Albany going to NS?

Why would CP want to give any of that up?
seems like a major and important line for them into the heart of North East USA..

Scot
 #1271867  by Matt Langworthy

I'm calling Bravo Sierra. Like many other internet rumors, this one gets passed around alot with no facts to back it up. Where's the STB filing? As publicly traded corporations, both NS and especially CP would have a duty to announce such a deal to their shareholders. The suppsoed sale of the former D&H to NS is much more likely to be a foamer's dream than reality.
 #1271875  by malfunctjct

Matt Langworthy wrote:I'm calling Bravo Sierra. Like many other internet rumors, this one gets passed around alot with no facts to back it up. Where's the STB filing? As publicly traded corporations, both NS and especially CP would have a duty to announce such a deal to their shareholders. The suppsoed sale of the former D&H to NS is much more likely to be a foamer's dream than reality.
This "dream" was being passed around the yard office before it got out to the "foamers". Nothing official has been announced. Nothing will be announced until the sides have come to an agreement. Yes, there will have to be a filing with the STB if this transaction is going to take place. Like I said before, there have been events that are leading many to believe that something is going to happen. I know you are going to ask what the events are, but I won't risk my job.
 #1271912  by newpylong

scottychaos wrote:If I am reading this correctly, we are talking about the D&H/CP from Sunbury PA all the way to Albany NY?
basically all of CP's route south of Albany going to NS?

Why would CP want to give any of that up?
seems like a major and important line for them into the heart of North East USA..

Scot
Why wouldn't they want to give it up? All it is is bridge traffic. Their bread and butter is Albany and the oil.
 #1272002  by Noel Weaver

I spent all my working years on the railroad and all during those years RUMORS were always around. Many of them don't happen. Don't believe everything you hear around a yard office or anywhere else for that matter on the railroad. Wait for an official announcement from in this case both railroads, probably a joint announcement. I am not saying it won't happen but just wait until you hear it from a good reliable source and not the Sxxhouse rumors.
Noel Weaver
 #1272008  by johnpbarlow

Would the recent trek of the NS Geometry train over D&H and PAS/PAR have applied more fuel to this rumor? I understand the Geometry train found numerous issues with PAS track but how did D&H track fare?
 #1272041  by SecaucusJunction

Wasn't it EHH that recently said he had plans to sell the D&H but not until at least next year?
 #1272213  by lvrr325

Per reports from a well connected friend when NS tried to buy out Conrail the second time in the 1990s they had rail trains staged and ready to rebuild the former LV main for through traffic from Buffalo to Allentown and Oak Island (via the Tier to Waverly). Never happened.

This is a little more plausible because CP's been trying to sell parts of the D&H off and on for years, and NS is already running trains on the route - when I went to Scranton in March I the train leaving town as I came in had all NS power - but like everything else I'll believe it when I see it.