Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

OCtrainguy
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Ocean County, NJ

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by OCtrainguy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:02 pm

I thought you would enjoy the walk down memory lane, Nick!

OCtrainguy
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Ocean County, NJ

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by OCtrainguy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:09 pm

As previously mentioned, here are my photos of the Metuchen Yard local as seen on June 26th coming out of the yard for the NEC. The first three photos are of the train in the yard while the last is of the train leaving the yard. The engine was NS SD40-2 3376 and the consist, from what I could see, was ACF cars.

NS 3376
A close-up of NS 3376
Starting to leave
Leaving the yard

Not sure which local this would have been, so if anyone knows, let me know. Enjoy!

nick11a
Posts: 9759
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:28 pm
Location: North Central Jersey

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by nick11a » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:57 pm

Hmm, it seems like it is going out on the NEC westward of there (where most of the customers are.) I haven't ever seen any of the locals use and SD40-2 for power. Usually, it is a GP15-2, GP38-2 or a GP40-2. It's probably ME-2, but appearances can be deceptive.
~Nick O.: Moderator: NJT Rail

Moderator of the "widely popular" NJT Rail Forum! What once was first is now seventh!

Kaback9
Posts: 4467
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by Kaback9 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:15 pm

nick11a wrote:Hmm, it seems like it is going out on the NEC westward of there (where most of the customers are.) I haven't ever seen any of the locals use and SD40-2 for power. Usually, it is a GP15-2, GP38-2 or a GP40-2. It's probably ME-2, but appearances can be deceptive.
Could that just be the big bad OI train with the SD40-2 LHF?
Brandon Kaback
Moderator:NJT Rail

TAMR213
Posts: 1005
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:03 pm
Location: Somewhere between Automatic 301 and 308

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by TAMR213 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:25 pm

Sorry about the long delay, but the sad news of the Millstone IT motivated me to post these. I recently caught ME-2 at Jersey Ave. complete with caboose.

Photos:
http://erikr.rrpicturearchives.net/arch ... x?id=47240
Erik Romatowski
Moderator - Conrail, Teen Railroad Enthusiasts

http://erikr.rrpicturearchives.net/

blockline4180
Posts: 5546
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:58 am
Location: NJ and me, Broke Together!

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by blockline4180 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:54 am

TAMR213 wrote:Sorry about the long delay, but the sad news of the Millstone IT motivated me to post these. I recently caught ME-2 at Jersey Ave. complete with caboose.

Photos:
http://erikr.rrpicturearchives.net/arch ... x?id=47240
So was that the last movement over the branch for good?? I hope not!!
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."

Mike77E9
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Less than 3,000ft from the busiest freight line in New Jersey!

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by Mike77E9 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:53 am

TAMR213 wrote:Sorry about the long delay, but the sad news of the Millstone IT motivated me to post these. I recently caught ME-2 at Jersey Ave. complete with caboose.

Photos:
http://erikr.rrpicturearchives.net/arch ... x?id=47240
Good shots there. Any idea how often there's any movement there?

Kaback9
Posts: 4467
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by Kaback9 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:42 pm

Any day of the week listen to the radio for ME-2 and for a form D to operate between Lincoln and County. I think thats all right but Mr.O would know more.
Brandon Kaback
Moderator:NJT Rail

nick11a
Posts: 9759
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:28 pm
Location: North Central Jersey

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by nick11a » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:20 pm

Kaback9 wrote:Any day of the week listen to the radio for ME-2 and for a form D to operate between Lincoln and County. I think thats all right but Mr.O would know more.
Sort of.... :-)

Any freight train departing Metuchen's Receiving Yard usually calls CETC8 to get the signal onto the NEC (either heading from the east or west end- both ends are signaled). Heading west out of the west end though, they can only gain access to Tracks 1 and 2 as there is not a full interlocking there. Being that Track 2 is the only track of the two that is Rule 261 (signaled in both directions), sometimes CETC8 will issue a Form D from the receiving yard to County on Track 1 (to keep out of eastbound Amtrak Trains and the like on Track 2). Usually, CETC8 makes ME2 wait for a window to send him west on Track 2.

As for ME18, whenever it is going to Deans down near Midway, a Form D is issued to head west on Track 1 as the Deans switch is on Track 1.
~Nick O.: Moderator: NJT Rail

Moderator of the "widely popular" NJT Rail Forum! What once was first is now seventh!

Kaback9
Posts: 4467
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:48 am

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by Kaback9 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:34 pm

LOL. At least I was sort of close. Just a heads up though ME-2 has been going down to Deans the past few weeks, kind of odd since that is the domain on ME-18.

Does anyone know if they still run the OI train pretty sure its now called OI 32, during the daylight anymore? I remember years ago seeing them fly past me while in Metropark, or while waiting for a train to Philly in Rahway.
Brandon Kaback
Moderator:NJT Rail

Jtgshu
Posts: 11744
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:32 pm
Location: MP 39.1

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by Jtgshu » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:10 am

nick11a wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:Any day of the week listen to the radio for ME-2 and for a form D to operate between Lincoln and County. I think thats all right but Mr.O would know more.
Sort of.... :-)

Any freight train departing Metuchen's Receiving Yard usually calls CETC8 to get the signal onto the NEC (either heading from the east or west end- both ends are signaled). Heading west out of the west end though, they can only gain access to Tracks 1 and 2 as there is not a full interlocking there. Being that Track 2 is the only track of the two that is Rule 261 (signaled in both directions), sometimes CETC8 will issue a Form D from the receiving yard to County on Track 1 (to keep out of eastbound Amtrak Trains and the like on Track 2). Usually, CETC8 makes ME2 wait for a window to send him west on Track 2.

As for ME18, whenever it is going to Deans down near Midway, a Form D is issued to head west on Track 1 as the Deans switch is on Track 1.
Another clue is when they line and lock (or open) the electric lock switches off of Track 0. There are three electric locks, one for the west end of the receiving yard, one for the east end, and for the west leg of the wye. So most times, they have to open up one of them, and WILL have to open one to head into/out of the yard.

Its called Edison interlocking at the west end where the trains come out onto the main (main tracks 1,2,3 and 4). There is a switch from 2 to 1, and from 1 to 0. From what I have noticed, most freight going to County, whoever that might be, I don't pay attnetion, I have a hard enough time remembering my own train number...., goes down 2 track. (after crossing over to 2 at Edison) It seems its done that way because 1) CETC 8 don't have to give a form d from Edison to County, 2) they only have to tie up 3 tracks and not all 4 in case something bad happens, 3) if there is switch failure at County, eastbounds can still run down track 1, and be able to make the platforms on track 1.

I have also heard CTEC 8 allowing the freights that are going to Deans run them down 2 track, clear west of midway and then head east on track 1 to Deans. This is done sometimes if there is an eastbound local coming up, or a relatively small window for them to get out of the way. I have only seen them do that if they are running light though.
On the RR, "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see"
John, aka "JTGSHU" passed away on August 26, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion to railroading at railroad.net.

bm555
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by bm555 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:02 pm

Saw a good size southboundtrain with 2 6 axle units (1 NS, 1 CSX) by Union Sunday Afternoon (couldnt get the numbers, an inbound NJT MU Job was heading by infront). Would this be the WPME10 Metuchen Oak Island transfer?

The giant empty lots where Ford in Metuchen and GM in Linden used to be were a sight to behold, almost as if they never existed!

TAMR213
Posts: 1005
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:03 pm
Location: Somewhere between Automatic 301 and 308

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by TAMR213 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:53 pm

bm555 wrote:Saw a good size southboundtrain with 2 6 axle units (1 NS, 1 CSX) by Union Sunday Afternoon (couldnt get the numbers, an inbound NJT MU Job was heading by infront). Would this be the WPME10 Metuchen Oak Island transfer?

The giant empty lots where Ford in Metuchen and GM in Linden used to be were a sight to behold, almost as if they never existed!
Heard this train on the radio the other day clearing the 0 track onto the wye at Metuchen. I forget the exact symbol, but the train was operating out of Oak Island.
Erik Romatowski
Moderator - Conrail, Teen Railroad Enthusiasts

http://erikr.rrpicturearchives.net/

MNR's #1 Conductor
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:05 pm
Location: Throg's Neck/Pelham Bay, NY

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by MNR's #1 Conductor » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:33 am

Here is a link to one of my photo postings at http://www.subchat.com, which I took at Elizabeth Station (NJT/Amtrak NEC), which showed a lengthy freight, hauled by a "1999 Consist" of one NS unit (GP38-2), one CR (GP38-2) and a CSX SD40-2 (an East-Of-Hudson/Oak Point 8800-series with third rail notches in the plows for running in MNR electrified territory). I believe this freight was destined for Metuchen Yard I believe which originated at Oak Island. I didn't have my scanner on me, so I am merely speculating all that, but it seemed to make the most sense. Guess what??? It also had a SPLAT on the end!!! Take a look, it appears at the end of the post!!

Here's the link!!
http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=934922
Railroading is not a career, it's a lifestyle! Railroading........what other life would I wanna live? :-)

TBRED
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: Where the inmates run the asylum.....

Re: Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

Post by TBRED » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:43 am

Sunday's train was running under the OI32 symbol,CSXT 8855,CSXT 1534,NS 5271..24x3.Ran lite back to Oak Island..
The consist lashed up like elephants was I Recall A 39X0 train..We're crewed under a different symbol,but will normally use OI32 on the radio.
those were some flat spots huh?... :wink:
If an unidentified victim can be ID'd only by dental records,how the hell do they know who the dentist is?

Return to “New Jersey Railfan”