Railroad Forums 

• NYGL update?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1356221  by kamerad47

Here is a pic of the boxcars on the interchange for the Dundee spur !!!! Not sure what to make of this ?? Not sure NY&GL has a working Locomotlve at this time ?????? anyone know anything about the boxcars ?????
 #1356257  by airman00

Forgive me as I know nothing about those boxcars. However, I remember the photos of when the old NJT UCH34 was moved by the M&E, and the tracks were all heavily overgrown with brush and vegetation. Even tree limbs in the way. So with the tracks like that last year, I don't know if they have been cleared. However, IF the boxcars are not a bad order, then maybe the paper place is getting service again?
 #1356268  by chuxter26

Those 2 cars were empties pulled out of Belden Brick by one of the NS locals....
 #1356270  by pumpers

Does that mean Belden Brick is getting deliveries too?
And are they on the Dundee spur?
JS
 #1356292  by kamerad47

So that means there just parked there then !! Is Belden Brick the only active local on this NIT line now?????? I know us ink no longer gets cars !!!
 #1381094  by New Haven 1

It's been a while since I checked this area out. What happened to Atlantic Coast Fiber who was the NY&GL's main customer? Their website's homepage still mentions how their indoor rail spur helps them access anywhere in the nation.
 #1381336  by kamerad47

Everything is loaded in shipping containers & trucked to the port for China !!!!!!
 #1381439  by SecaucusJunction

Don't complain. Cheap shipping to and from overseas countries could be what brings manufacturing companies to the NJ region in the next couple of years.
 #1381578  by New Haven 1

It sure puts things into perspective when you look at what Secaucus Junction mentions about it being "cheaper" to ship materials to and from overseas as opposed to doing business here in the U.S. Hopefully, Atlantic Coast Fiber is proactive in trying to do business at home. Trickle down economics never have and never will work. I hope all of the work that was done to re-do this rare street trackage some years back was not in vain.
 #1381649  by ccutler

It probably has to do with declining demand for paper fiber in the USA. China is offering higher prices for fiber so that's why it would be exported.
I suppose the customer could ship IN fiber from elsewhere via box car and then transload them into containers.

Alternatively, NYGL could start their own transload facility on their premises for all products.

Having a branch line dependent on the whims of supply/demand of one commodity makes for a tough business.
 #1382070  by Hawaiitiki

All the socio-economic politics aside, has this branch actually seen a movement since the NJT Uboat was dragged out a couple years ago? One of the last great street trackage operations in NJ.
 #1382187  by cjvrr

I was down in the area on Sunday 4/24/16 and it had not looked like anything had moved from the last time I was down that way 3 months ago.