SIRR container traffic to NJ to start this month....

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

Spartan Phalanx

Post by Spartan Phalanx » Thu May 22, 2008 10:34 pm

KCS SD-70's on S.I.? Pretty cool, I guess burning off hours/miles owed to CSX or NS? Which of the two does the NYC Sanitation business at Fresh Kills belong to? Also, is there service yet to/from Visy Paper on the Travis Branch? Thanks.

SIRR4207

Re: SIRR container traffic to NJ to start this month....

Post by SIRR4207 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Well I have not been active lately on the forum but I figured I'd give a basic break down of what he rail schedule is doing on staten island. I find these times preety much regular every day. First off the BY 8 comes over the AK bridge between the times of 645am to 715am with empty garbage cars. The train then ties those cars down in Arlington Yard and Grabs the Loaded Garbage cars left by the PN8 the day before. Then the BY8 heads over the bridge around 730am to 8am usually. Around 9-10am the PN8 Comes over with a cut of stacks for New york container terminal ties them down in the yard then hooks up to the empty garbage cars and heads to the fresh kills landfill. You can catch the PN8 along the travis branch between the times of 1030am to 2pm. I have seen them run down as late as 4pm but its rare if they are delayed with power issues when they go on duty. The PN8 returns to arlington yard and ties down the garbage loads then hooks up to the stacks that are bound for depature that the NYCT locomotive brings up there. Then PN8 usually heads back to NJ around 4pm. But like I said it depends on what time they get to the island. Other intresting notes I saw last week was the PN8 with its 2 widebodies switching out NYCT due to the GP38 that NYCT has broke down. Also they borrowed M&E engine 20 SW1500 to used for about a week. I saw that unit today tied up to the loaded garbage cars and will probabily return to NJ tomorrow Morning. Well thats all...

freightguy

Post by freightguy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:36 am

How has traffic been with this terminal? Has the economy put a squeeze on some of the intermodal in and out of NYCT? I know a few years back they had grand plans expanding out of the current operation with a good amount of land to build on...
Signed off

brianc02

Post by brianc02 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:41 pm

There are 2 trains monday-friday. one inbound around 9 am, one outbound around 1600. The only freight I see on these trains are orange NYC trash containers and mixed shipping containers from Howland Hook. It stays pretty busy.

gregorygrice

Post by gregorygrice » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Recently took a trip down to the Howland Hook. At first they were anal about photography, but in the end I was allowed to film for the day.

Here's the footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da51cM16ijY

ccutler

Post by ccutler » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Nice video, thanks for update! Looks from the yard shot that they have two customers in Staten Island...the container terminal and the garbage terminal.

bbobes327

Post by bbobes327 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:15 pm

Any reason why they put up signals facing the old SIRR main that goes over the turnpike? It hasnt been used in years.

Steve F45

Post by Steve F45 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:52 am

bbobes327 wrote:Any reason why they put up signals facing the old SIRR main that goes over the turnpike? It hasnt been used in years.
When were these put up, recently?

JoeRailRoad

Post by JoeRailRoad » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Steve F45 wrote:
bbobes327 wrote:Any reason why they put up signals facing the old SIRR main that goes over the turnpike? It hasnt been used in years.
When were these put up, recently?
Signals were put up on the East end when the new approach to the AK bridge was completed.

Joe

BigDell

Post by BigDell » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:55 am

Sorry for coming out of left field, but how often are trains running over AK? Is the bridge very active?

gregorygrice

Post by gregorygrice » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:11 am

BigDell wrote:Sorry for coming out of left field, but how often are trains running over AK? Is the bridge very active?
Pretty active on weekdays. Dead on the weekend.

gregorygrice

Post by gregorygrice » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:19 pm

If anyone is interested in the trash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tau-ElpK ... e=youtu.be

gregorygrice

Post by gregorygrice » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:21 pm

bbobes327

Post by bbobes327 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:20 pm

On the West end of SIRR territory by Aldene, did the Lehigh Line ever connect to the SIRR heading east? On Google maps it certainly looked like a connection might have existed.

Anybody know?

SecaucusJunction

Post by SecaucusJunction » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:27 pm

I see that the Expressrail usage at port tanked over the past fall and winter and I am trying to figure out why. Did one of the railroads cut some service, one of the shipping companies move out, or could it be weather related? It's down 12-13% year over year through March, the latest statistics available.

Anyone have any ideas?
I think it may be possible that NJ Transit might not be the perfect, infallible organization that most people assume it is.

Return to “New Jersey Railfan”