• US Navy Earle Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1066385  by OportRailfan

Ken W2KB wrote:
NJT4115 wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:
NJT4115 wrote:Are these trains operated by civilians or people who serve(d) in the Navy?
They are operated by those that are hired by the Dept. of Defense.
Darn, I wanted to drive these trains someday :(
Guess I'll wait for the next excursion in about nine years (Unless 9/11 cancelled it forever)
So they are operated by civilians, not military, personnel who are DOD employees.
Pretty much, but I'm sure past military experience helps one land the job.

check out: www dot USAjobs dot gov
 #1066917  by NJT4115

Before the line was used by the Navy, what did the CNJ use it for?
 #1066952  by Jtgshu

NJT4115 wrote:Before the line was used by the Navy, what did the CNJ use it for?
the CNJ never operated on the Navy RR, the Navy built it when they built NWS Earle in the mid 40s. Before Earle was built, there were houses and churches and farms, etc in the area that is now Earle in both Leonardo/Chapel Hill and Colts Neck/Tinton Falls. If you go to historicaerials.com you can see what was there before the Gov't bought the land and tore everything down and built Earle.

They did have a connection with the CNJ on the Seashore Branch, as well as a connection on the Southern Sec, which still is in use, the Seashore Branch connection is obviously long OOS..haha
 #1079398  by Earle Baldwin

There appears to be some MOW activity afoot as a Railroad Construction backhoe was parked at the Oak Hill Road crossing last night.

Bob
 #1083699  by ChrisU

There was a train today testing out the grade crossing at Oak Hill Rd, I saw it at about 7:30am with an SW1200 and about 10 boxcars.
 #1084048  by Earle Baldwin

A Railroad Construction hi-rail dump truck filled with ballast was occupying the out of service track when I passed by the crossing on my way home last night. There were cones protecting some freshly laid asphalt although it's difficult to ascertain what the exact nature of the work is.

Bob
 #1090033  by GSC

NJT4115 wrote:Before the line was used by the Navy, what did the CNJ use it for?
You'd have to compare aerial maps to see it. A portion of the ROW of the old Raritan & Delaware Bay RR / Southern that ran from Port Monmouth to Red Bank was used for the Navy RR in Middletown. Not much, but they used what they had to work with.
 #1092639  by mdamico23

[

They did have a connection with the CNJ on the Seashore Branch, as well as a connection on the Southern Sec, which still is in use, the Seashore Branch connection is obviously long OOS..haha[/quote]

That connection was used for the last time in the early 1970s. I've heard that there was flood damage on the Seashore Branch in the area somewhere around Port Monmouth/Leonardo/Atlantic Highlands. There was a stranded CN 40' boxcar that was spotted at a lumber yard located on the Seashore Branch. When the branch became impassable further west, the Navy used their connection with the Seashore and "rescued" the empty CN boxcar. Presumably, they brought it south through Colts Neck and then up through the Southern Division. The CNJ abandoned the Seashore beyond IFF shortly thereafter. Not sure if this story is true, but it would make sense.

-Mike
 #1103703  by ChrisU

Light engine move heading up to Waterfront right now with SW1200 #4.
 #1103988  by Earle Baldwin

I believe I heard a train headed out to the pier about 6 o'clock this morning. I'll usually open the windows to get a better listen but that wasn't happening with the power still out.

Bob
 #1107255  by ChrisU

The train passed Sleepy hollow today heading to mainside around 5:50pm with about 15 cars and both VO1000M's!
 #1107753  by ChrisU

Through Sleepy Hollow at 5:14pm,VO1000M's #2 and #1 with 22 cars including two flat cars!