West side of Newark Branch

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

kilroy

Re: West side of Newark Branch

Post by kilroy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:41 pm

Many pages back there was discussion of using the line for light rail. Some towns the line runs through doesn't want anything that connects with Newark and their town.
Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?

WashingtonPark

Post by WashingtonPark » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:20 pm

kilroy wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:41 pm
Many pages back there was discussion of using the line for light rail. Some towns the line runs through doesn't want anything that connects with Newark and their town.
Amazing how the Nimbys never consider bus lines or roads as connections to whatever town's residents they don't want near them.

rr503

Post by rr503 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:26 pm

It's equally amazing that we let people with those sort of exclusionary opinions dictate our transportation/land use policies...

Realistically speaking, though, something to preserve the corridor as a corridor (rather than a slowly evolving series of reclamations) should be done. A rail trail would likely nix any chance of future use, but maybe just some basic maintenance agreement?

bk77

Post by bk77 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:23 am

rr503 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:26 pm
It's equally amazing that we let people with those sort of exclusionary opinions dictate our transportation/land use policies...

Realistically speaking, though, something to preserve the corridor as a corridor (rather than a slowly evolving series of reclamations) should be done. A rail trail would likely nix any chance of future use, but maybe just some basic maintenance agreement?
My own $.02..... I don't really see it as a canidate for a rail trail as the section through Nutley would be the only nice portion worth walking through. The section through Clifton is decent, but can't be considered anyway as a portion of that trackage is still in use by NS. Anything south of Nutley is too industrial/urban where I'm sure area businesses would love to get their hands on the RoW for parking, expanding, redeveloping, etc, which has already been happening in Belleville and North Newark.

I'd say you'd have a better use for making it a Light Rail line, although I'm not sure where you'd connect to anything on the Newark end without buying up property and somehow crossing Rt. 21 to get to Broad St. station. Rebuilding the east end of the Newark branch to DB and a transfer station near West End interlocking seems more expensive.... which leads to an even bigger and realistic issue on why you probably won't see light rail on the newark branch: MONEY. There were already plans in place to extend the Hudson Light Rail up CSX's Northern Branch. Aside from town's like Tenafly protesting that project, I'm sure NJT and the state don't want to put up the funding right now considering the well publicized money woe's at NJT over the last several years (and not to mention the state putting the kabash on the new tunnels under the Hudson river). I'm not saying light rail on the Newark Branch won't ever happen, but considering other projects haven't already happened like the Hudson-Bergen extension, I'm not holding out much hope for the Newark Branch.

Joseph DeLuisi

Post by Joseph DeLuisi » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:09 am

Remember, no rail has been ripped out and wishful thinking it can become active again. The most likely shippers would be Rock Tenn, formerly known as Schiffenhaus, and Q-PAK on McCarter Hwy near the Belleville line. Then you have the little Industrial park on Riverside Ave near Chester Ave. where Frey Chemical used to be. Many potential customers there. Is the old WAS siding still intact, does anyone know? I know that it's probably unlikely, but NS never applied to the STB to abandon the Newark Industrial Track. The trucking company just leases property from NS and in the lease it states that rail service can resume again at any time, hopefully.

Return to “New Jersey Railfan”