Railroad Forums 

• Railroad restaurant bites the dust, Surf City

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#248293  by transit383

German wrote:I just read in my local paper that the Express Restaurant in Surf City, Long Beach Island, has been sold. The owner wanted to get out of the business and the new owners bought the property with the intention of builing two houses on it. Moving and preserving the club car and two boxcars is being looked into, but since they have been so heavily modified for their current use, it may not be financially feasable for them to be used for anything else but a restaurant or perhaps a local museum.

I'm not sure of the history of these cars, or if there was even a connection with the island's railroad, but they were at least a reminder of what was once there. Time marches on and history keeps getting erased. :(
If a static display is desired, the cars can always be moved to the restored Manahawkin Station, located at the interchange of Routes 9 and 72, just down the road.

#255096  by glennk419

German wrote:While I haven't seen the newspaper article myself yet, a trusted source just informed me that the cars at the Express Restaurant have been aquired by the owner of Sweet Jenny's restaurant in Barnegat. If this really happens, the move should be a good fit. The owners of Sweet Jennys have decorated the interior of their restaurant with a 50's and 60's decor, lining the walls lots of toys, including model trains. I believe the owner is a train buff and should do a good job with these cars. Lets keep our fingers crossed that the move doesn't present any problems.
This rumor appears to be confirmed, the first of the cars has already been moved. Nice to see a happy ending to this one.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news ... 7503c.html

#255129  by pennsy

Hi All,

Nice to see that three railcars have a happy future ahead of them.

As an aside, I noticed the reference to Surf City. This title has been trademarked by the City of Huntington Beach, California. There was an extensive lawsuit filed and won by Huntington Beach against Santa Cruz, California for that title. There might just be some repercussions with that title also being used on the East Coast.

Huntington Beach is well known, internationally, for its reputation in the Surfing circles, and hosts Surfing Contests and International Competitions every year. It has been known as Surf City for many, many years, and even has its own "Walk of Fame" of stars in the sidewalks with the names of Surfing Champions and winners, similar to Hollywood's "Walk of Fame."

#260575  by Bamboo_Productions

ERIE 2999 and the two companion boxcars have been purchased by my personal friends Marty & Angela Sprinzen. They will be central to a new venue, yet to be named, located on Rt 9, Barnegat NJ. next to Sweet Jenny’s Restaurant. It will be an upscale steak house with a Victorian themed interior. Kind of like a ride on the Orient Express.
I am producing a documentary DVD called “Last Train Out”. It will cover the whole story. Post production is scheduled for next year after the new venue is completed and open. Visit www.bambooproductions.tv next spring for info on where to purchase a copy. I hope this story will help promote the historic preservation of our country’s railroads.

#260631  by German

I wouldn't be too worried about legal problems for Surf City. It isn't some local knickname recently conjured up by the local chamber of commerce, but is the official name of the borough since 1894. I believe there is also a town of Surf City in North Carolina as well.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to dining in the new restaurant! I work 15 minutes away, so I'll try to take pics of the construction as well.

#260658  by Alcoman

There used to be station restaurant in Vahalla, New York using several caboosess and a passenger car. I have been in that area in a long time so I don't know if it is still there.
Maybe Otto can tell us.

#260708  by caboose9

Alcoman wrote, "There used to be a station restaurant in Vahalla, NY, using several caboosess and a passenger car. "

Hi,

I list 1 caboose in Valhalla, NY: B&) C250, wood, cupola, Valhalla Station Restaurant, Cleveland St., at the Taconic Pkwy.

If there's another caboose there, I'd like to get the details on it.

Thanks, Roger

#260741  by hsr_fan

Pete wrote:I'm sorry to say that the last time I was at the Iron Horse in Westwood, the food was abysmal, the service only marginally better.
That's too bad. I miss that place, and Westwood in general! I had an apartment there within walking distance of the train station from 1998 to 2000. I worked for AlliedSignal in Teterboro, so it was a 20 minute train ride...perfect setup! But I got laid off and had to go where I could find work, and ended up in the middle of freaking nowhere! (I work for Loral near the town of Hawley, PA.) I need to get back to civilization!
 #261454  by Bamboo_Productions

Great News! ERIE 2999 safely made the trip last night from Surf City to Barnegat! It is now waiting to be put back on it’s trucks and tracks. It was a fun and historic journey.
We left Surf City around 4:30 and arrived in Barnegat around 9:00. Top speed was around 23 mph and it was definitely a local. We had to stop for every low phone wire to be lifted and traffic signals had to be moved out of the way. Our Engineer Wayne did and excellent job with his Peterbuilt locomotive.
All three cars are now at Sweet Jenny’s on Route 9 in Barnegat, NJ.
Congratulations Marty & Angela for a GREAT RESCUE of a piece of American history!

#261467  by Jtgshu

Thats great to hear that the cars made it safely!!!!

the whole DVD sounds like a great idea, remember us here at the forum when you finally get done with it, im sure there would be many people interested in purchasing it here!

As a side note, as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, Casey Jones is still alive and kicking, and doing some renovating - the one boxcar will become some type of bar, and they are also doing work outside as well. Unfortunately though, the ex-EL caboose has been repainted, on the outside at least. Im not sure that whats on there now is a primer or just a first coat, but it is red, and pretty much matches the boxcars. Fortunately though, the authentic EL paint is still on the inside, adn in nearly perfect condition (it was repainted in 3/76 according to the stenciling - probably one of the last "offical" painting/repaintings by the EL before Conrail...

Its great to look at, as all the EL stencling is there, right down to the white line through the number...........

They were too busy to ask what was going to become of the paint job on the outside, but hopefully it will be repainted as it was - but the caboose paint was getting pretty dull after all these years.

#426282  by TheBaran

Received notice of a pending bankruptcy auction of a "Casey Jones" restaurant on Long Branch on August 22. Noticed a boxcar in the background.

Follow the link for details....

http://www.maxspann.com/
 #426295  by ladder2

Great News! ERIE 2999 safely made the trip last night from Surf City to Barnegat!... All three cars are now at Sweet Jenny’s on Route 9 in Barnegat, NJ. Congratulations Marty & Angela for a GREAT RESCUE of a piece of American history!
According to July 2007 Railpace magazine, Erie 2999 was scrapped in April 2007 after the plans for Sweet Jenny's fell thru. Page 9 July Railpace. :(

#426424  by Tri-State Tom

Baron -

There should also be an authentic ERIE-LACKAWANNA caboose painted in maroon with grey band outlined in yellow pinstripes on the East side of the building....behind the yellow auto in that photo.

#426440  by Jtgshu

There are 2 boxcars and the EL Caboose there at Casey Jones - the EL caboose had its outside quickly painted red, but on the inside (restaurant interior) the authentic EL paint is in excellent condition - right down to the white line through the number - If i remember correctly, the caboose was painted by the EL in very early 1976 - maybe one of the last pieces painted for the EL?

Shame to see Casey's go, but its not surprising - the new owners a few years ago seemed to just wanna run it into the ground, and walk away with what htey could. Had damn good bergers there.........