Railroad Forums 

• NEC Power Problems?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#13694  by TAMR213

Hey everyone. Today around 3 PM while doing laundry, saw a train headed southbound on the NEC through Highland Park which was being pulled by an HHP-8, had a P42 behind it, then had something like 2 coaches, a viewliner, and a baggage car. Only a little bit later I heard on the scanner about the 40 office telling a foreman that he wanted to turn the power back on. Also heard about 2 more diesel powered trains, which were presumably Amtrak trains, as there is never any frieght on the weekends. Can anyone tell me whats up? Thanks.

#13713  by transit383

If the P42 was behind the HHP-8 then I doubt it was a catenary issue, as the P42 would have been pulling the HHP-8.

#13727  by DutchRailnut

funky thing about HHP-8 is you can operate the P42 from a HHP-8 cab.
so a train could be run dual mode this way:-)

#13750  by TAMR213

But I've never seen anything like this. Only time I've seen a P42 on the NEC is when it was on a work train around Adam's, and then alos a few summers back during the big heat wave when they had to shut down or reduce the catenary power and a P42 was pulling a train. But there was no HHP-8...

#13785  by nick11a

I actually saw a P42 operating behind and HHP-8 on the Raritan aquaduct on the NEC a month ago. It was quite a sight. I didn't see it before then and haven't seen it since.