Railroad Forums 

• Dover & Delaware River RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1516951  by CR7876

Work began on Tuesday to lower the railroad under the S.Main St bridge in Phillipsburg.
 #1517797  by pumpers

CR7876 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:46 am Work began on Tuesday to lower the railroad under the S.Main St bridge in Phillipsburg.
Finally! This has been a long time in coming, that's for sure. Probably frequent poster cvrr knows all the details - hope he is around to share some.
JS
 #1517802  by pumpers

CR7876 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:46 am Work began on Tuesday to lower the railroad under the S.Main St bridge in Phillipsburg.
Finally! This has been a long time in coming, that's for sure. If I recall correctly, I think long-time NJ poster cjvrr has posted about plans for this on occasion, back before the D&D - maybe he can fill us in...
 #1517965  by pdtrains

Sitting in Pburg right now. Track undercutting under brifge on South main st pburg appears to be done. Cut down about 3 feet. New ties, rail, ballast.
 #1517972  by pumpers

Our reporter on the spot! Thanks pd.
Did they also have to move the switch to the NS main because of the resulting grade? Actually, some deja vu feeling I am having tells me they may have already moved the switch a few years ago in preparation, or maybe I am just mis-remembering someone else's post about the idea which was just an idea, not any actual construction.

Now we can wait for the first taller car (plate F? - I don't know ) to come through.
 #1518300  by pdtrains

Sunday aug 26th run...into Pburg about 10 am. The veterans Geep and one of the NS GP-38's. 9 empties for the NS. 6 loaded covered hoppers in the interchange track, plus I think they waited for the NS to show up at pburg, so as to get some more cars for industries on Monday AM. The interchange siding (extends east from the area of the old DLW roundhouse) is connected on both ends now.

Train went east thru stewartsville about 3pm.

The switch to the NS just west of the station was not moved.
 #1563189  by Bracdude181

I’ve been hearing that Chesapeake and Delaware might be taking over several lines in Central Jersey from Conrail in the future. Is this true??
 #1582264  by Bracdude181

Does anyone know what RP1 usually does on Monday when they go down NJT? What’s usually the first stop they make or the first customer they work?
 #1584560  by Bracdude181

For anyone curious or otherwise interested, RP-1 is currently on the Totowa Industrial Track. They have C&D 2006 with what looks like 6 cars for Royal Distribution and an empty centerbeam from the lumber guy in Denville and a tank car from idk where They took 7 empties out of Royal Distribution so right now they have 16 cars.

Once they finish turning around they should drop the inbounds at Royal Distribution and head back to Rockport. Unsure where they may stop along the way.
 #1584863  by JohnFromJersey

R&DB wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:40 am As of 11/13 2021 still no STB filing.
Still have a month left of the year to go. COVID has seriously thrown a wrench in this ordeal, I'm pretty sure they would be halfway done with work by now if it wasn't for that.

That or there's some weird clause where C&D is excused from needing to file??? I doubt it, don't see how that would be possible.
 #1584865  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey Gonna be honest with you everything I saw from this company on Wednesday has shattered any hope I had that C&D is gonna run the Southern and Freehold better than Conrail. The service in the sense of actually getting the cars to the customers was better, but that’s about it.

Almost everything else was highly rotten. Especially the engine. (C&D 2006)

PM me of you want to know more. I’ve said enough here.
 #1584869  by ccutler

Bracdude we don't know what you "mean" by your previous comment but if it relates to the use of junky old engines, that's a well-honed technique of ambitious and undercapitalized short line companies. If the management and crews work hard with what they got, they will be a tremendous improvement for their customers. Large organizations commonly struggle to pay sufficient attention to their smaller operations, so even if the Class 1s have talented employees, they'll likely never get attention in their capital budgets for improvement, or management attention to deal with NJ Transit potentially not honoring agreements for timely access to the Coast Line.

One short line that used junky old engines was a little operation call Genesee & Wyoming. Another is known as Delaware and Lackawanna. Both had quite the evolution.

I wish the Dover & Delaware team success in their expansion efforts.