Railroad Forums 

• Tax Map shows RR row Ownership now online

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1489517  by carajul

Somerset county finally (20 years after the advent of the internet) finally has an interactive tax map online that shows land parcels and their current owner with other data. I was following the millstone branch thru Franklin Twp. For some reason the part that NS currently owns everything on the tax info shows as "N/A". But past Clyde Rd (the section that Penn Central never sold to CR) is still in its original thin strip of land form, but is divied up among new owners. In the section of town that is all new homes, the adjacent landowner seemed to get ownership of the row. The municipality owns a lot of it too, and then towards E Millstone private citizens own small chunks of the land. No one has ever done anything with the land (except the part between Clyde Rd & S Middlebush Rd which has been obliterated with houses). I don't know why anyone would buy a thin strip of land that was once a RR row, but they certainly did. None of the current owners bought it from PC in the 70s. Most current owners bought it in the 90s-2000s. Is it just a way of saying "hey I own land"???

And the tax rates people are paying on these houses in Franklin...$8,000-$16,000/yr just for a residential home property tax. Houses now selling for $300-$400k. How the hell do these people afford this? And it's like ALL the houses.

http://gis.co.somerset.nj.us/somersetco_tpv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1491705  by GSC

Insane property tax rates. What services do these people get from their towns that I don't get in mine? We all want police, fire, first aid, road departments, schools, traffic lights, and all the other things our taxes pay for. I'd like to see an audit performed where how much the operations of the town cost, and divide it equally among the property owners. If my house is modest and I pay X amount in taxes, but the guy down the street in the expensive house pays Y for the same services, why is he being penalized for having a nicer house? The town didn't buy it, pay a mortgage and insurance on it, maintain the place, and so on, the homeowner did.