Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 547
- Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:55 pm
- Location: Sou.Sec. MP 53.5
Oak Island Yard name comes from Oak Island Junction - the intersection of the CNJ line running north-south and the Lehigh Valley line running east-west. After looking at topographic maps from circa 1900, the area around the junction was swamp. Just to the northeast of the junction was an area of raised (dry) land surrounded by the swamp. That was probably named Oak Island. It would now be beneath the NJ Turnpike where Wilson Avenue goes underneath.