Railroad Forums 

• Jersey City - Rail Yards

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1442839  by pumpers

Somewhere, including railroad.net, there are great old photos, from the first half of the 1900's I think (before diselization), looking at large portions of the waterfront from Bergen Hill, seeing just about nothing but rising columns of smoke and steam.
My favorite was one (I think posted on railroad.net), which I believe it was stated was on the wall in some NJ Transit office, having been handed down through the ages. Would love to see that one again.

JS
 #1443832  by umtrr-author

Go two blocks north (up) and one block west (left) and that's where I became a railfan for life! Third-floor walkup on Fifth Street, directly in sight of the Harismus Cove Viaduct (now "the Embankment").

Life would have been very different if we'd lived on the Second Floor!
 #1473780  by Ken W2KB

ExCon90 wrote:And don't pull it up if you have anything important to do the rest of the day :wink:
'I do, so I won't. But I'll be back! Thanks!!
 #1473803  by pumpers

Several times I have "spent many fascinating hours" ("wasted" in plain ENglish") looking at those pages. And there are other years available too, also Bayonne: http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HUDSON_COUN ... udson.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for reminding me - it has been a few years and might be time to go back and take another look :wink: (and thanks to Rutgers for providing it all for us free). JS
 #1475097  by many19

pumpers wrote:Several times I have "spent many fascinating hours" ("wasted" in plain ENglish") looking at those pages. And there are other years available too, also Bayonne: http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HUDSON_COUN ... udson.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for reminding me - it has been a few years and might be time to go back and take another look :wink: (and thanks to Rutgers for providing it all for us free). JS

You should thank Rich Taylor and our ( NYSME) great relations with him for these maps. My understanding is that he dug these Plat Maps from the Garbage and saved them for many years. One of our member knew of it and through Rutgers very high tech scanning services they were able to bring them to life for everyone to see. I saw the original Plot for the Jersey City area before they took it to RU and the paper in some great shape.

Anyway finds like these are a rear thing. I wonder if there are Plat books like these for Chicago. That would be as amazing...
 #1475727  by GSC

As I said in my "Old Maps" thread, send coffee and sandwiches, and occasionally drop by to see if I'm still breathing.

Fascinating stuff.