Railroad Forums 

• Blue Comet Line Route 539 Crossing

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1425436  by The Blue Comet

Have seen track work completed at Route 539 crossing. Clayton Concrete and Woodmansie I believe will be the end of the CNJ Seashore line just Northeast of the route 72 overpass. Haven't seen any info on track rehab to Winslow Junction. Any idea or info on when sand will start heading towards RedBank? That old line is quite historic. Thanks
Bob
 #1425602  by CJPat

Blue Comet, you ask the magical question...."when?"

The original thread on the rehab began in 2006. Back then it was projected that due to the upcoming "NYC Tunnel to Macys basement" project that Gov. Corzine had approved, it was thought that Clayton was positioning himself for the large sand delivery project that the tunnel would require. Since the project was cancelled, any progress on the rehab has been very slow most likely since there probably has not been a customer identified that will buy large bulk loads to make the rail line maintainable.

Dribs and drabs of rebuild work has been conducted under a transportation grant that Clayton qualified for (ties, bridge rebuild, crossings, etc). But most people are guessing that the line won't activate unless Clayton can find that significant customer base.
 #1426793  by BigDell

There are a lot of recent posts on various CNJ and NJ railroad FaceBook groups lately. I'll locate and try to post...
Looks very promising.
 #1426962  by NJWG

Thanks for the updates. last time I was able to walk down there I noticed the bridge work south of union avenue in Lakehurst. It does appear that they are repairing this bridge for double track where the passing siding was. I hear that there is a lot of facebook activity regarding this but I just cant stand facebook with all of the garbage on it I just cant do it. I drove down 539 just the other day and there is a lot of sand trucks coming from claytons I don't know where its all going but some trains would be nice.
 #1441841  by dlagrua

Due to severe rail congestion and the old age of the Hudson tunnels; new tunnel construction is inevitable. IMO it will begin before 2020. Such being the case the old Jersey Central Blue Comet line should be restored.