Railroad Forums 

• Tropicanna Train affected by slow down in OJ sales?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1350609  by carajul

I know the famed Tropicanna OJ train arrives in Kearny, NJ daily. Just wondering if OJ sales slide has affected the train at all over the years. OJ sales are down 40% from 10 years ago and 5% YTD. So since the early 2000s the amount of OJ consumed has been halved. Not surprising giving the cost of the stuff and other options on the market. OJ is approaching $7/gallon which is insane. Eat a darn orange at that price.
 #1350752  by Sir Ray

carajul wrote:OJ is approaching $7/gallon which is insane. Eat a darn orange at that price.
And that's the problem, no oranges to eat - the orange trees in Florida (and elsewhere) are suffering from a blight of sorts - "Citrus Greening"
An insect-born disease known as “citrus greening” has been hampering production, reducing supply, and raising prices. The disease hit south Florida in 2005. Scientists now believe just about every orange grove in the state of Florida is infected
The US orange-tree population has fallen by nearly 25% since 2003, according to the USDA
How America fell out of love with Orange Juice
 #1351130  by gravelyfan

carajul wrote:I know the famed Tropicanna OJ train arrives in Kearny, NJ daily.
Tropicana moved to Jersey City (Greenville) a long time ago - in the early 1990's??. So the juice train does not go to or through Kearny but via Oak Island and Upper Bay.
 #1372632  by BigDell

Where is the best (safest, most public, least intrusive…) location to photograph the train coming or going? Is there a good trainspotting place along the route in NJ? Does it go up the LV line or does it come up the chemical coast?
 #1372638  by pumpers

It comes up CSX West Trenton line from Philadelphia to Manville, then on then east on the Lehigh Line at least as far as Bound Brook. So anywhere west/south of there is OK. I don't know the answer to your question about what it does after Bound Brook (Port Reading sub to Chemical Coast or via Lehigh Line all the way to and then thru Oak Island to Jersey City.)

But the bad news is, at least when I lived along side the West Trenton Line, is that the northbound came through in the early AM before dawn, except when delayed. And I don't remember seeing the southbound often either, so probably it was after dark. That was a while ago, maybe it has changed, and with longer days coming you might get lucky.

Jim S
 #1372640  by BigDell

Thank you Pumpers! I live VERY close to the LV line in North Edison, so that's my usual haunt. Maybe I'll give it a shot this summer. June being the longest days, I might get lucky.
Can't lose either way. Lately the traffic on the LV through my area has been extremely brisk.
Many thanks
 #1372643  by kilroy

It comes all the way in on the ex-LV. I have photographed it at South Plainfield and Clark.

You can photograph it from the old golf course on the Clark/Edison line (just east of Potter). It is now a county park. I shot there a couple of times last year.