Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1401682  by TOMSTV1

I went down to see any progress, they got as far down as Pasadena. I stopped at Whiting today and talked with some of the workers, they said they were shutting the job down, as the Transportation fund ran out, as well as the matching funds. So Lakehurst is still not connected by the bridge, and 1/4 mile south of the Pasadena crossing , the rails are open also.
I took some pics.
 #1401810  by CJPat

I believe the open track in Lakehurst between the Toms River industrial split and northwards falls under Conrail. I would expect that when Clayton gets serious about wanting to begin the sand transport, Conrail would arrive and quickly put it back together. More importantly, before that point, Conrail will need to do track maintenance, repair, and vegetation treatment on the track leading all the back to Lakewood just south of the runaround. It has been a few years since they installed the runaround and stopped maintenance down to Lakehurst. I am sure there is probably tie work that will be done at least. They would need to make sure the track can handle the 100 ton sand cars if, and when, they actually begin to run.
 #1401907  by RailsEast

Not sure why workers would be privy to such information, but it may be true. The state grant was for a specific amount of money, so if it has run dry, it is up to Clayton to continue the work; there would be no additional funds from the state available, as it pertained to that specific grant. Also, grant recipients are required to pay 10% of the grant money (in this case, about $150,000), so if nothing was to proceed, then Clayton would be out $150K. This does not seem rational from where I'm sitting, but stranger things have happened.......

See.... viewtopic.php?f=127&t=31458&start=1800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The way I understand it, north of Union Ave in Lakehurst is NJT, operated by Conrail, and south of Union Ave is Clayton property.
 #1404139  by TOMSTV1

I was down in Whiting, and I stopped by to talk to some of the railroad workers, and they told me that they were packing up , as the job had been shut down, at least for now. The picture is of the truck with their stuff packed up, and heading off to some other job up to north Jersey, so they tell me. The rails are still cut at Lakehurst under the bridge, and 1/4 mile south of Pasadena crossing, before the sand pits.