Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1388733  by CJPat

On Sunday, I swung thru Lakehurst, Whiting, and Woodmansie just to see what changes or any were out there. I found several track maintenance vehicles parked on the rails in downtown Lakehurst along with piles of ties that appeared to be distributed in smaller piles going down the line (for how far?). One note I made is that the passing siding that also runs across Union Ave stretching from the Rt 70 overpass down to the wooden trestle bridge south of Union has not been touched at all. It is still overgrown and the parking lot abuts right up to it. I would think they will need to rehab that too just so they can transfer cars.

In Whiting along Cnty 530 , there was a track machine parked on the stub siding in the park that used to lead to the Pennsy line. There was also a 40 ft shipping container nearby but I don't know if it was associated. No actual work appears to have been conducted yet there.

At Cnty 539, there was a very large pile of ties and smaller equipment (didn't have time for a good look, a forest fire had closed Rt 72 and traffic was evidently being diverted up Cnty 539). It did not appear that any work had begun there either. Like identified previously, the track at Cnty 539 is fully connected.

Out at Woodmansie, nothing has changed since last reported. It does not appear that Clayton has initiated any work to get the track onto his property yet. Savoy Blvd was closed just prior to reaching RT 72 due to the Forest Fire.

I have a theory - Is it possible that the track from Lakehurst to Woodmansie will be improved (to what degree?) to allow a supply of rail and ballast to be delivered to Woodmansie to support the siding & small yard that Clayton will need? The Southern Secondary would only need to replace the couple of pieces of rail it had removed in Lakewood and under Rt 70 to bring the load in. The run between Lakewood and Lakehurst has been unused for approx. 3 years? I am sure they will inspect the general rail and maybe decide they might need a few ties to get a supply train in. Once it looks impending, I am sure they will improve the Secondary to necessary standards to handle the sand cars once the decision is made to actually ship.

If all this in prep for Clayton to position themselves for this next tunnel construction to NYC, I would think it would be quite a financial gamble. They would have to win some kind of sand supply contract before they would have any significant work in that direction.
 #1388738  by NYSW2300

CJPat wrote: If all this in prep for Clayton to position themselves for this next tunnel construction to NYC, I would think it would be quite a financial gamble. They would have to win some kind of sand supply contract before they would have any significant work in that direction.
NJSL has a 1.6 million state grant from 2013 that they needed to use or they faced loosing it.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/f ... rogram.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1395449  by CJPat

I swung by the area on Sunday and found that they have completed tie replacement from Lakehurst to Cnty Rt 539. Track equipment is sitting in downtown Whiting on the stub siding in the Park. A large pile of new ties was delivered and stocked next to the Cnty 539 crossing on the "northside". I also ran out to Woodmansie. No trackwork or anything else has been done. No changes have been made at the Clayton Sand Pit area. At least they cold patched the large potholes at the intersection of Savoy & Mt Misery Rd.
 #1398392  by Kevinhooa

Sounds about right. That's what Google Streetview is showing right now. MOW equipment in the background. Are those signals new? They are on either side of the crossing, and I don't mean the signals and gates for the auto traffic. I can't remember if I've seen them there before.
 #1398394  by NYSW2300

Kevinhooa wrote:Sounds about right. That's what Google Streetview is showing right now. MOW equipment in the background. Are those signals new? They are on either side of the crossing, and I don't mean the signals and gates for the auto traffic. I can't remember if I've seen them there before.
The signals have been there since the crossing was rehabbed. The RT 530 crossing is preempted with the traffic lights. The railroad signal will display red until all the traffic lights on Rt530 and Manchester Blvd turn red. Once the traffic lights are set to red, the railroad signal will display a proceed indication.