Railroad Forums 

• NS Lehigh Line @ Hillsborough between Dukes Pkwy & Valley Rd

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1160354  by many19

Everyone,
As the description says. in Hillsborough there is a large switching area where based on the google maps view from the link below. Hoppers are switched at this facility. All switching is done from the NS Lehigh Line.
The reason for my post is the following this morning I drove by Roycefield road and I noticed a large number of new Vehicles parked right next to each other in a large open field of this switching area.
Is this complex now receiving AutoRacks and delivering from here out.....

I was able to see ramps at the end of one of the tracks which seem to be cleared off and in good working condition...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Raritan,+ ... y&t=m&z=15
 #1160366  by pumpers

many19 wrote:Everyone,
As the description says. in Hillsborough there is a large switching area where based on the google maps view from the link below. Hoppers are switched at this facility. All switching is done from the NS Lehigh Line.
The reason for my post is the following this morning I drove by Roycefield road and I noticed a large number of new Vehicles parked right next to each other in a large open field of this switching area.

I was able to see ramps at the end of one of the tracks which seem to be cleared off and in good working condition...

A few years ago I think Raritan Central RR was running this place, but I think they quit (or got booted out). Who switches it now? NS or some local operator? JS
 #1160550  by wolfboy8171981

RCRY has been out for quite a few years now. Mid-State packaging does their own interplant switching, but is a NS customer. They lease a BDRV locomotive (curently BDRV SW1200RS #8159) and some BRW/BDRV crews moonlight there.
 #1165070  by michaelk

many19 wrote:Everyone,

re: autoracks
complete speculation on my part but that's right down the road from the old asbestos plant in manville - which now has a GIANT car lease refurbishing operation on it. There's car carrier tractor-trailers coming and going just about non stop- even on weekends (i've been to the movie theater there on weekend days, weeknights, even the the day after thanksgiving and there are ALWAYS trucks coming and jamming up the entrance/exit to the movie). If you look at it from the satellite on google maps - follow brooks blvd from 206 east and it basically dead ends in the lot- you can see how it's a HUGE parking lot. There's easily thousands or maybe tens of thousands of parking spots there. (there's a movie threater/strip mall/ walmart at the front of the property- everything behind is the lease place). it's so big and has so many inbound tractor trailers I'd suppose its much bigger than just a local facility. So MAYBE they process enough off lease vehicles that they ship or receive by rail?