CR on the Southern Secondary

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

User avatar
Jersey Rail FIlmmakers
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 pm
Location: Tinton Falls NJ

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:29 pm

Clear on the Southern Secondary, 4:30pm
It doesn't matter which side of the tracks you're from, the train still rolls the same.

Youtube Channel, JRF: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZtknt ... subscriber" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Railfanning NJT and CSAO!

Erik I.

User avatar
Coast Line Railfan
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am
Location: West Long Branch, NJ

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by Coast Line Railfan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:29 pm

Clear of the Derail 4:20 PM. 4452 today.
-David
-Southern Division Rail Productions

User avatar
Coast Line Railfan
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am
Location: West Long Branch, NJ

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by Coast Line Railfan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:36 pm

CSX 4452 and 6228 + 17 approaching Sycamore Ave. 16:36.
-David
-Southern Division Rail Productions

User avatar
RailsEast
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:11 pm
Location: Shrewsbury, NJ

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by RailsEast » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:02 am

Clear of the Derail 4:20 PM. 4452 today.
Actual terminology is "Clear of the rusty rail", one of two responses the crew can give to the Coast Line dispatcher (the other being "Clear on the Southern") when their hind end is clear of the main. The switch for the Southern is considered 'rusty rail' when in the reverse position (lined for the Southern) due to it's infrequent use and possible inaccurate recording on the dispatcher's board. The NJT dispatcher can normally see when the train is off the main, and the CR crew responding just confirms everything.

There was one instance in the past few years where the CR crew neglected to report 'in the clear', and the NJT dispatcher spent several minutes trying to contact the crew, which had presumably already switched to the CR Southern Secondary frequency on their radio (160.860). I suppose someone got into a bit of hot water for that miscue.....
"Old railfans never die, they just lose track......"
My collection My best
Supporting member: BRRHT, NYS&WT&HS, CRHS

User avatar
Coast Line Railfan
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am
Location: West Long Branch, NJ

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by Coast Line Railfan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:01 am

RailsEast wrote:
Clear of the Derail 4:20 PM. 4452 today.
Actual terminology is "Clear of the rusty rail", one of two responses the crew can give to the Coast Line dispatcher (the other being "Clear on the Southern") when their hind end is clear of the main. The switch for the Southern is considered 'rusty rail' when in the reverse position (lined for the Southern) due to it's infrequent use and possible inaccurate recording on the dispatcher's board. The NJT dispatcher can normally see when the train is off the main, and the CR crew responding just confirms everything.

There was one instance in the past few years where the CR crew neglected to report 'in the clear', and the NJT dispatcher spent several minutes trying to contact the crew, which had presumably already switched to the CR Southern Secondary frequency on their radio (160.860). I suppose someone got into a bit of hot water for that miscue.....
Ah ok. The scanner was a bit choppy and I guess I didn't hear the whole thing. That clears it up . . .
-David
-Southern Division Rail Productions

User avatar
Jersey Rail FIlmmakers
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 pm
Location: Tinton Falls NJ

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Current browns yard power as per 2/8/19, 5:00pm

CSX 6160 (Came in the yard today to replace 4412)
CSX 6228
CSX 4452

(Now we have 2 ex-cheesies, and 1 CR in the yard)
It doesn't matter which side of the tracks you're from, the train still rolls the same.

Youtube Channel, JRF: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZtknt ... subscriber" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Railfanning NJT and CSAO!

Erik I.

User avatar
Jersey Rail FIlmmakers
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 pm
Location: Tinton Falls NJ

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:20 pm

NS 5285 is back!! Replacing 6228...
It doesn't matter which side of the tracks you're from, the train still rolls the same.

Youtube Channel, JRF: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZtknt ... subscriber" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Railfanning NJT and CSAO!

Erik I.

User avatar
Coast Line Railfan
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am
Location: West Long Branch, NJ

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by Coast Line Railfan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:59 pm

Jersey Rail FIlmmakers wrote:NS 5285 is back!! Replacing 6228...
Let's see it smoke up next week and get shipped out :P
-David
-Southern Division Rail Productions

User avatar
Coast Line Railfan
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am
Location: West Long Branch, NJ

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by Coast Line Railfan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Permission to open up Church Connecting Track 15:30.
Last edited by Coast Line Railfan on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David
-Southern Division Rail Productions

User avatar
Coast Line Railfan
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am
Location: West Long Branch, NJ

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by Coast Line Railfan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Lined and Locked Normal 15:43.
-David
-Southern Division Rail Productions

User avatar
Jersey Rail FIlmmakers
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 pm
Location: Tinton Falls NJ

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:29 pm

CSX 6160 and NS 5285, +18 cars, Clear on the Southern Secondary 4:27pm
It doesn't matter which side of the tracks you're from, the train still rolls the same.

Youtube Channel, JRF: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZtknt ... subscriber" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Railfanning NJT and CSAO!

Erik I.

User avatar
Coast Line Railfan
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am
Location: West Long Branch, NJ

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by Coast Line Railfan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:31 pm

SA31 clear Bergen Place 16:28 with CSX 6160 and NS 5285 and 18 - 17 for Woodhaven and 1 for Bel-Ray.
-David
-Southern Division Rail Productions

NJT4149
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:13 pm
Location: Neptune

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by NJT4149 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:05 am

Eastbound through Farmingdale at 11:57 PM
"When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer."
http://www.youtube.com/user/thezyrisawesome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jersey Shore Rail Productions

pumpers
Posts: 2100
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:56 pm

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by pumpers » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:12 am

Coast Line Railfan wrote:SA31 clear Bergen Place 16:28 with CSX 6160 and NS 5285 and 18 - 17 for Woodhaven and 1 for Bel-Ray.
Sounds like the spring building season is ramping up quickly.

User avatar
Coast Line Railfan
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am
Location: West Long Branch, NJ

Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

Post by Coast Line Railfan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:56 am

pumpers wrote:
Coast Line Railfan wrote:SA31 clear Bergen Place 16:28 with CSX 6160 and NS 5285 and 18 - 17 for Woodhaven and 1 for Bel-Ray.
Sounds like the spring building season is ramping up quickly.
Perhaps. The winter slowdown didn't really show except for that one week with 4452 either.
-David
-Southern Division Rail Productions

Return to “New Jersey Railfan”