2012 Danbury Railway Museum Thread

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Otto Vondrak

Re: 2012 Danbury Railway Museum Thread

Post by Otto Vondrak » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:30 pm

steamer69 wrote:Thank you Andre for the pictures and a wonderful lack of "smoke and mirrors". I went onto your website today which was up to date, refreshing, and very informative.
Link, please? I haven't checked on the DRM site in a while...

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

andre
Location: someplace between tottenville, downtown, midtown, south norwalk or danbury

Post by andre » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Otto Vondrak wrote:
steamer69 wrote:Thank you Andre for the pictures and a wonderful lack of "smoke and mirrors". I went onto your website today which was up to date, refreshing, and very informative.

-otto-

http://www.danbury.org/drm/
This is the train to: Pumphouse, Turntable and RPO, Please have all tickets out for collection. Thank you and enjoy the ride

**Also agrees with the statement "Jeff Smith Rules"

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Was up there this last weekend; you guys are doing a great job! Even though the RDC ride was short, it was cool to see the turntable. Lots of good equipment. The volunteer "conductor" also did a great job; I didn't write down his name, but he's a former bus driver, I think.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

andre
Location: someplace between tottenville, downtown, midtown, south norwalk or danbury

Post by andre » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:06 pm

Jeff Smith wrote:Was up there this last weekend; you guys are doing a great job! Even though the RDC ride was short, it was cool to see the turntable. Lots of good equipment. The volunteer "conductor" also did a great job; I didn't write down his name, but he's a former bus driver, I think.

when were you there, i was there from 10am to 8pm that day

You should have come over we would have given you the behind the scenes tour
This is the train to: Pumphouse, Turntable and RPO, Please have all tickets out for collection. Thank you and enjoy the ride

Otto Vondrak

Post by Otto Vondrak » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:29 pm

andre wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:

-otto-

http://www.danbury.org/drm/
Oh, this is the same site. From Steamer's description, I thought the museum finally got a newly designed web site. I had offered my services (volunteered for no cost) a number of times over the years, but always turned down, because someone at the museum volunteers to do it, and they didn't want to offend him by having someone else work on it... I have even made suggestions over the years about simple things that would make the site easier to use and make it look more professional. There's a lot of great stuff at DRM, but I think too much of it is hidden in a cluster and maze of buttons and competing text.

Is all I have to say about the subject.

-otto-

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:32 am

andre wrote:
Jeff Smith wrote:Was up there this last weekend; you guys are doing a great job! Even though the RDC ride was short, it was cool to see the turntable. Lots of good equipment. The volunteer "conductor" also did a great job; I didn't write down his name, but he's a former bus driver, I think.

when were you there, i was there from 10am to 8pm that day

You should have come over we would have given you the behind the scenes tour
Thanks Andre; I thought about asking for you, but didn't want to bug you guys. Maybe next time. I was going for the consumer experience and had my brothers with me.
Next stop, Willoughby

gregorygrice

Post by gregorygrice » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:11 am

If you rode the RDC, you may have seen us working on the washboards. We were all wearing vests.

andre

Post by andre » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:56 pm

No bug at all, Your more then welcome

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:03 pm

I did see a couple of you and thought about calling out; we walked down the display aisle a good ways and I was able to look across. Looking forward to how the 4400's turn out.
Next stop, Willoughby

andre

Post by andre » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Otto Vondrak

Post by Otto Vondrak » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:29 am

Never been inside that one... Is it really configured as a bar car? That's pretty cool!

Speaking of bar cars, always thought DRM would be a good home for a set of M-2 bar cars... Currently the only bar cars in the country, let alone self-propelled electric MU bar cars!

-otto-

gregorygrice

Post by gregorygrice » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:18 am

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Never been inside that one... Is it really configured as a bar car? That's pretty cool!

Speaking of bar cars, always thought DRM would be a good home for a set of M-2 bar cars... Currently the only bar cars in the country, let alone self-propelled electric MU bar cars!

-otto-
There are already plans for us to get 2 pairs, one most likely being a barcar

andre

Post by andre » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Otto Vondrak wrote:

-otto-
Yeah at one end there is a bar counter with an open area for table booths, the rest of the car is configured with reclining coach seats. the car is very comfortable to ride in and very smooth

gregorygrice

Post by gregorygrice » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:56 pm

Another small time lapse up showing yesterday's work. All of the insulators have been cleared out and stored, and other work was done.

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/1McS8cyQbI0

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Tue May 08, 2012 10:20 am

Nice blurb from Trains: http://trn.trains.com/en/Railroad%20New ... ineup.aspx
■An RS1 built in 1948 as Illinois Terminal Railroad No. 753. It then served Gulf, Mobile & Ohio and Illinois Central. The museum purchased it in 1995 from the Green Mountain Railroad, where it was in service as recently as December 1995. It currently wears New Haven Railroad colors and is numbered New Haven 0673. Railroads purchased 417 examples of the RS1 model between 1941 and 1960. This 19-year production run is the longest for any diesel locomotive produced in the United States.
■An RSC2 built in 1949 as Seaboard Air Line No. 1513. It then went to Florida Power & Light, the New Hope & Ivyland, and Northern Central Railroad. It is privately owned and on long-term lease to the museum. Between October 1946 and April 1950, Alco produced seventy RSC2s. It employs a 12-cylinder, 1,500 hp engine. The A-1-A + A-1-A wheel arrangement lowered the axle load for operation on branch lines or routes with lighter rails.
■An RS-3m (m for modified prime mover) built in 1952 as Delaware, Lackawanna & Western RS3 No. 912, one of 1,418 RS3s produced. It went to Conrail in 1976, and was repowered with a 1,200 hp EMD engine in 1979. Originally the locomotive had a 1,600 hp Alco engine. It served Conrail and then Metro North Railroad. It is currently numbered Connecticut Department of Transportation No. 605, and was used as the switcher at Metro North’s Harmon, N.Y. shop.

Also in the museum’s collection but currently undergoing restoration is former New Haven RS11 No. 1402. New Haven owned 15 1,800 hp RS11s built in 1956, and originally equipped with steam generators for passenger service. The locomotives were later reassigned to freight duty.
Keep up the good work!

Duplicate ALCO discussion post here: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... =4&t=96605 to generate interest.
Next stop, Willoughby

Return to “New England Railfan”