Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1492500  by b&m 1566

I saw a picture of 573 and 4266, taken yesterday at Hazen's. They had a sizable crew, looks like they had a plow truck that must of been a head of the train clearing the crossings. There must have been some down trees or low hanging branches because 573 had a number board knocked out on the engineers side. I can only assume that there was some chainsaw action included in yesterdays run.

Question about Silver Splendor, from what I can tell the name of this car has always included Silver at the beginning. I doubt the new owners will keep the current name but what's the chances of them keeping Silver at the beginning? Silver Cascade is already taken, the only other name I can think of would be Silver Lake, which would pay homage to the cars past while representing a lake just south of Conway.
 #1492512  by b&m 1566

Silver Dome wouldn't really fit, if they stick with naming the car after a natural land mark in that region or an significant person that was involved with railroading in that area. With the Conway branch running right along Silver Lake, it certainly would be fitting if they want to continue the Silver part of the name. Like Silver Dome, Silver Lake flows nicely and sounds good.

I assume they plain to keep the dome car a dining car and not convert it back to a regular first class seated dome car.
 #1492584  by johnpbarlow

Backshophoss wrote:The Dome was part of the CZ pool when new,should retain it's CZ name or the "Silver Splendor" since converted to a Dome-diner-lounge
setup. NO name change is really needed!
Just a nit but this dome car was initially acquired by CB&Q from Budd as Silver Buckle for use on the Denver Zephyr. Here's an excerpt from the AAPRCO web site description of Silver Splendor:
Built in 1956 by the Budd Company for the Burlington Route’s Denver Zephyr, the car served the CB&Q as Vista Dome chair car No. 4735, Silver Buckle, until 1971. Amtrak continued to operate the car, with the number 9457, until its retirement in 1981. Purchased in 1997, the name was changed to Silver Splendor and the car has undergone a total rebuild from the wheels up.