Railroad Forums 

• Downeast Scenic Railroad (DSRX) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1290225  by Mikejf

I noticed the State of Maines hi-rail dump truck parked next to Route 1-A in the Dedham area. There was also a backhoe there, but did not notice any DOT stickers on it. Presumably just maintaining the ROW to barely pasable.
 #1291800  by oibu

Pardon me if I've not been paying attention in class, but could someone perhaps set the record straight on whattrackage is currently being operated on regualrly? I thought it was Wash. JCt- Ellsworth Falls, which is around 5-6 miles, but the DSRX website says 13 miles. Is it 13 track miles, extended beyond one end or the other of Wash. jCt-Ellsworth Falls, or a 13-mile round trip? Thanks!
 #1291921  by jwhite07

According to one of the last MEC timetables covering the branch (ETT #2 dated 4/11/1982), Ellsworth is at mileage 166.11 (measured from Portland). Washington Junction on the east end of DSRX territory is 168.53, and on the present west end, The Falls is 164.52. Last time I rode, and also last time I happened to observe, the method of operation was to run east from Ellsworth to Washington Junction, over the wye, then west to The Falls, then back east to Ellsworth. So that's roughly a little over 8 miles for a round trip; maybe make it 9 counting the run around the restored wye on the Mount Desert Branch. In short, not sure where the 13 mile figure came from. Perhaps someone affiliated with DSRX could explain further.

Downeast Scenic's present goal destination to the west is Green Lake, which is mileage 154.29 and would net a round trip of about 28 and a half miles under the current operating pattern. THAT would be a great trip, and it's a goal that I happily do a little bit to contribute towards yearly to DSRX in their effort to realize.
 #1291935  by necr3849

You guys have a bit of work ahead of you, but that would surely be a nice ride up to Green Lake! I've been hiking the line in sections and just did about 2 miles North of Nicolin Road in Ellsworth Sunday. Might hit Green Lake this coming weekend and head South to intercept where we turned back this past time. It depends on what the weather is like
 #1291945  by Cosmo

necr3849 wrote:You guys have a bit of work ahead of you, but that would surely be a nice ride up to Green Lake! I've been hiking the line in sections and just did about 2 miles North of Nicolin Road in Ellsworth Sunday. Might hit Green Lake this coming weekend and head South to intercept where we turned back this past time. It depends on what the weather is like
Don't forget your camera! :wink:
 #1292013  by b&m 1566

I rode the DSRX for the 2nd time last month and found one thing that kind of puzzled me; they go the same direction when they turn the train on the wye. I'm sure they have a reason for that but wouldn't it make more sense to traverse the Wye in the opposite direction from the last? You would only have to throw the switches once instead of twice saving a little bit more time, time they could put back in by going a little bit slower through the swamp.
 #1292104  by bml1149

Good evening gentlemen,
To answer your questions.
The State backhoe and dumptruck are working on the out of service portion of our line. They come once a year to do some of the maintenance work to help us out.

I looked at the website and our home page says a 10 mile round trip, but under the menu tab for "About the trip" it does say 13 miles. This is an error, it should say 10 miles.

There are a couple of reasons we run the same direction through the wye. One is the narration program. It works on a GPS signal. As we pass certain landmarks, it prompts the correct description for the area we pass, but only on the established route. If we were to go a different route, it would not work properly. Second are operating rules about how switches are left after use. We have arranged the operation so that when we go through the wye and leave the yard, the brakeman never has to walk the length of the train and all mainline switches are always left in the normal position.

Leverett Fernald
 #1292255  by oibu

Thanks for the answers to all the various questions recently! If one came up this fall, would the 54 or the 1055 be more likely to be on the train? One my last visit 54 was the power, but would like to see the 1055 operating in it's new home sometime.
 #1297378  by bml1149

Good morning,
Earlier, a question was asked about what power we will be running. This weekend, we will be using 54. Next weekend will be our first Pumpkin Train and we plan to use both engines. The last train on the 19th will likely be 1055.
Leverett Fernald
 #1333799  by conductorvern

I love this railroad I have tried contacting them about 2 bar cars down in Hyannis mass which are going to be scrapped but to no avail I just don't want to see them as razor blades.
 #1333967  by bml1149

Good afternoon,
Every so often we will get contacted about railcars like this. While we would like to save them, the fact is that even if they were to give them to us, it would cost a considerable amount of money just to move them. This is what makes acquiring equipment like this prohibitive for small operations like ours.
Leverett Fernald