Railroad Forums 

• Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1487559  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Received news from MassDOT that the Cohasset Narrows RR bridge reconstruction in Buzzards Bay / Wareham will begin this fall as the contract was awarded to JF White. Design drawings are currently under review and when structural steel & other materials are ready, reconstruction will begin sometime this fall. The new bridge is expected to be in place by the end of April 2019 before the Cape Flyer season begins.
 #1487705  by HURLEY3754

saw a post on another thread that i found interesting..

post read:
Sunday morning I caught a glimpse of a chopnose GP7/9 going west through Syracuse. It was painted in a Southern Railway scheme with what looked to be a three digit number. I thought it said Cape Cod Central on it but that seems to be wrong. So I'm not sure what else to search for.

Cape cod central 1501 was wearing the number 150 for some time and for this reason i believe this may be the loco mentioned in the post above.

Can anyone confirm that 1501 has been taken off cape? and if so does anyone know for what reason
 #1488472  by MickD

At least one of the FL9s is sitting in the yard
in Hyannis next to the shop..Only saw the rear of it
so couldn't make out # ..
 #1488985  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Was in Hyannis today and checked out Mass Coastal's FL9's purchased from Connecticut DOT. Will be curious to see if they keep the New Haven markings or repaint to Mass Coastal colors. Storm front had just passed through with not the best lighting, but took some photo's. The Hyannis rail yard reconstruction looks great also and there certainly is plenty of room for future expanded use. Found a additional picture of NH 2011 after it was rebuilt back in 1994.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/27721/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments:
DSCF2413.JPG
DSCF2413.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 2959 times
DSCF2414.JPG
DSCF2414.JPG (1.92 MiB) Viewed 2959 times
DSCF2415.JPG
DSCF2415.JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 2959 times
Last edited by Falmouth Secondary to Otis on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #1491600  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Saw in the news that 2 people were killed last night in Wareham, MA by the Cape Cod Central Christmas train. Any news other than that they were trespassing walking on the tracks ? How do you not see or hear a slow moving scenic train in the dark ?

https://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20181 ... in-wareham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1491605  by RenegadeMonster

On National Train Safety Day, the MBTA handed out a bunch of train safety pamphlets. One of the things that surprised me was one of the top bullets said trains can be really quiet, you may not always hear them approaching. I have always thought how can you not hear one common, but you so often hear about tragic accidents like this. So it has me thinking, if there are no buildings or pavement to echo the sound, if open air or forests can dampen the sound enough where the train can truly be quiet as it approaches. I'm sure you will hear it pass, but you may not hear it coming.

If your back is to the train, you will not see it coming. And it it sneaks up on you we get tragic accidents like this.