Railroad Forums 

• CNZR - Armory Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1451896  by bwparker1

Tpochron33 wrote:Does anyone have any updates on the status of the branch......pass through alot but seems to be no movement on the line......
There is a CSOR Facebook group that seems to have semi-frequent updates on the operations in the greater Hartford area. They include and welcome posts/questions on the CNZR and there is an engineer for CNZR that is active in the group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/110607852373710/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Recently it was posted that Tri-State Brick in Manchester was stopping the practice of receiving inbound box cars of brick. This was the last customer east of the East Hartford "yard". I posted that on a CSOR thread over in the class III forum for G&W. This response was posted and some of the information is relevant to the activity, or lack thereof, on the CSOR into CNZR Armory branch.

East Hartford still has a transload operation going on and they still store the gondola cars for C&d in the yard. Off the SW line their is a siding that receives fruits, veg, produce. Further down the line on SW there is lumber, as well as a tank car siding (not sure what is in the tank cars) and that is about it. CNZR still gets are car or two delivered but that is pretty much done with for the season I believe. The Manchester line from School street in East Hartford to Manchester is pretty much OOS. They did do the third crossing though with tar just before the line goes across rte 84. This was badly needed for automobile traffic and not so much for rail. CSO is just about done on these two lines unless they can get out there and find new customers.
 #1459974  by FLRailFan1

I wonder if CSO would sell the lines (Armory and the Manchester branches) to CNEZ...AJ will promote the lines...G&W doesn't seem interested in those lines.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1460184  by owendal402

Tpochron33 wrote:Does anyone have any updates on the status of the branch......pass through alot but seems to be no movement on the line......
From what I can gather, the line is active by CSO south of Neyra Industries, and is active north of there to the CNZR yard seasonally. The only customer on the CNZR side is Crop Production Services right in the same yard and is active during the growing season
 #1460524  by bwparker1

Strategic Materials of South Windsor, which is past Neyra Industries to the northeast, but not by much, has a spur, and was somewhat recently actively shipping processed glass outbound. I don't know their current status.
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1464291  by Larry

A.J.Belliveau just called to say he had a 27 car train headed up the Bloomfield Branch today. Not the largest train they have had (35) but that is some train to go up that brain. I wish I was there to have seen it.
 #1464366  by Plate C

For real? There have been a number of boxcars in the Hartford Yard recently but not sure I saw enough to equal that...? CNZR typically moves maybe 10 cars a day if lucky, unless this is an uptick of building supplies as we head into Spring? Just missed CNZR make the exchange yesterday but with that many cars and a 10MPH speed I figure I would have seen something. Think they were in/out by 11, right before Amtrak.
 #1464405  by Larry

A.J. told me himself it was 27 cars. He had 4 from the day before and the CSO dropped off 23 so he was also surprised on that many.
 #1467923  by Larry

CNZR is now taking the loads of Brick that used to be delivered in Manchester just this past fall by CSO and is having the unloaded at the Crop Industries up in Enfield. I saw two box cars on the interchange just shy of Sullivan Ave in S. Windsor plus one car for the Crop Industries. Way to go A.J. At least he knows what good customer service is.
 #1467998  by NH2060

Just out of curiosity how much of the re-purposed concrete ties have been installed? The most recent StreetView shots don’t seem to indicate much if anything has happened with them.
 #1468025  by Jedijk88

Any chance of the railroad developing customers north of Crop Production? I heard ramblings recently about Martin Brower wanting to move inbound loads of french fries by rail, but it would mean leasing a pool of cryo-reefers ( i believe by the railroad?? ) and it never went anywhere.
 #1468048  by bwparker1

Would seem extremely unlikely in the near to moderate future...
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1473731  by Larry

CNZR was setting up signal detector for the Wintonbury Ave crossing. They were digging trench for cable that will trip the crossing gates. Glad to see that this crossing may soon be up and running.
 #1474367  by FLRailFan1

Larry wrote:CNZR is now taking the loads of Brick that used to be delivered in Manchester just this past fall by CSO and is having the unloaded at the Crop Industries up in Enfield. I saw two box cars on the interchange just shy of Sullivan Ave in S. Windsor plus one car for the Crop Industries. Way to go A.J. At least he knows what good customer service is.
I wish CSO would sell the East Hartford cluster. I bet AJ could promote business in Manchester along with the Armory branch. Oh well...G&W is not helping CSO.
 #1474488  by Larry

I was just out in Manchester, and yes it is so sad to see no rail action at all. A.J. would take care of the line as well as the customers but the state would need to buy the line first and then lease it back to CNZR. That could happen but the state is broke and time is running out if you ask me, having nothing on line at all just is so hard to bring them back.