Railroad Forums 

• Tenting at Fostoria Train Park?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1354233  by CPSK

Hi;
Can anyone tell me whether or not tenting is permitted at Fostoria Train park? On their website, the FAQ stated that it was not, but it was because the grass hadn't grown in yet. That was more than two years ago.
I am thinking of going out sometime next spring - after the snows are gone - for a couple days and a night. It would be kind of cool to sleep there in my tent.

Thanks for your info

CPSK
 #1359161  by jimnorthwood

I live about 25 miles from Fostoria, close enough to drive there whenever the mood strikes. In all my trips I've never seen anyone tenting it at the park. I strongly suspect this practice would be discouraged if not outright prohibited in Fostoria. Also, I'm guessing that the neighborhood where you live, wherever that happens to be, is probably not like the neighborhood where the Fostoria railfan park is located. Personally I would not want to spend the night in a tent at the Fostoria railfan park, even if it were allowed. A better bet for overnight railfan camping is Deshler.
 #1359164  by CPSK

jimnorthwood wrote:I live about 25 miles from Fostoria, close enough to drive there whenever the mood strikes. In all my trips I've never seen anyone tenting it at the park. I strongly suspect this practice would be discouraged if not outright prohibited in Fostoria. Also, I'm guessing that the neighborhood where you live, wherever that happens to be, is probably not like the neighborhood where the Fostoria railfan park is located. Personally I would not want to spend the night in a tent at the Fostoria railfan park, even if it were allowed. A better bet for overnight railfan camping is Deshler.
Perhaps sleeping in my car would be OK? I see that they have parking slots for RV's, so it looks as though overnight parking is OK.
I have been to Deshler, but never to Fostoria. I understand there are far more trains at Fostoria than at Deshler. That said, perhaps sleeping at Deshler would be a better idea; it might be difficult to get any sleep at all at Fostoria with all the trains through the night.

In any case, I am going to wait until the weather starts to warm up again before coming out. I don't enjoy railfanning in 25 degree weather, although it's interesting to photograph in snow.
 #1368845  by jimnorthwood

" I don't enjoy railfanning in 25 degree weather"

+1 to that. Personally, I wouldn't spend the night, car or otherwise. There is drug dealing activity in the nearby neighborhoods, so the police might assume you are parked there to buy, or to use, or...We have been there after dark plenty of times, many years before the railfan park was constructed, and never had any problems. Having said that, maybe it is just feeling my mortality, but these days we clear out of Fostoria when everybody else in the railfan park does, which is generally around 10:00 p.m. during the longest days of summer. There is a caretaker/volunteer lady who keeps close tabs on things (cleans the restrooms, etc) there. She is a real go getter, to the point that some people find her to be an annoyance. She'll come up to your car and ask if you have the railfan packet (coupons for local restaurants and such). Personally I am glad she is willing/able to devote so much time and energy to this project, so I don't find her presence to be an irritant at all. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if she makes the occasional spin around the facility in the wee hours of the morning, keeping an eye out for goings on she deems suspicious. A person sleeping in a car might fall into that category, although I can't say for certain. Best to stick to Deshler for overnight car sleeping.
 #1374757  by mogul2us

I don't know about tenting, but as I understand it, overnight stays in RV's are OK. So, with that info, my wife and I attempted to stay overnight one night this past summer. Didn't go too well.

The railfan park is EXCELLENT and I applaud the folks out there who made such a great place possible. Can't say enough good about it!

However...don't plan on ANY actual sleep! I suspected this might be the case, and it sure was! There are MANY trains thru there, day and night, near constantly in fact, and all of them blow horns for the road crossings...of which there are many. That, plus the squealing flanges on the turns, all conspire to make sure you will see LOTS of trains...but get pretty near zero sleep.

My advice...hang out during the daylight hours and retreat a goodly distance to a motel or something if you actually need a few hours shut-eye.

Great place in every way! But sleeping is impossible.

mogul2us