Railroad Forums 

• Washington, Baltimore & Annapolis

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1132143  by Jeff Smith

If you want a chance to "ride" the B&A, here's your chance: http://www.active.com/running/pasadena- ... athon-2013
Course One to two miles on residential streets with the remainder of both races on the B&A Trail - an asphalt bike and running path along a Rails-to-Trails Park. One significant hill on the full marathon course. The rest of the course is predominantly flat railroad grade. The course is expected to be USATF certified. Port-a-pots will be available on the course.
 #1132252  by Mike Calo

I have created a page about the repaving project in Annapolis with several pictures.

What I failed to mention on the page is that when the WB&A started running the interurbans through the streets the city of Annapolis demanded that they provide a city trolley that ran no less frequently than every 15 minutes to accomodate local passengers, much like the "Jolly Trolleys" of today - buses built to resemble the old streetcars inside and out.

The link to my page is http://www.navpooh.com/street_tracks_1.html, but I'm in the process of updating the page to add a photograph of track uncovered during a reconstruction project at Gate 1 of the United States Naval Academy in the spring of 1982, along with a short story about how I came to possess a slice of the girder rail (which I obviously still have) that was uncovered at the time. I am also adding photos of the last train to ever run over the WB&A tracks (you won't believe when it was) and another secret.

Regarding the powerhouse in Annapolis, it is indeed still there; it's an annex to the Leowes hotel. If you go to Bing maps, search for 124 West Street, Annapolis MD, and go to bird's eye view, you will be taken to an old fire station; the powerhouse - a trapezoid-shaped structure - is directly behind that building. The angle of the rear wall follows the old right-of-way.

Two substations are also still in existence - Jones and Jones number 2. Search for Jones Station Road, Severna Park, MD and go to bird's eye view, then go to the intersection of Jones Station Road and Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard. Turn the map once clockwise and you will see: a white rectangular building with a door and two windows; this is Jones. Move the map toward the lower left-hand corner of your screen until Jones is just gone, then look at the center of the screen; there is the remaining bit of passing siding. Once more move the map to the lower left, but follow the bike path and you will see a building that is partially brick and partially concrete block painted red; this is Jones number 2.

Jones number 2 was built in 1913 as part of the Annapolis Short Line's conversion to 1200V DC; it was fed electricity from the Westport (Baltimore) plant of the Consolidated Gas Electric Light & Power Company of Baltimore. After the February 1921 acquisition of the Short Line by the WB&A the power distribution of both lines were merged and Jones number 2 was dismantled. However, after the WB&A went belly-up in August 1935, the new Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad (running on the former Short Line's tracks) was without power from Annapolis; they needed another substation. The answer was the reopening of Jones number 2. However, the equipment to be used at J2 was too big for the existing 45' x 30' building; the solution was the concrete block annex. (Information about Jones number 2 is from "Every hour on the hour" by John E. Merreken, Bulletin 130, Central Electric Railfans' Association, LeRoy O. King Jr., Dallas, TX)

As to remaining trackage, there are bits and pieces of track all along the old line. As someone already pointed out, there is a section of a passing siding remaining beside the B&A bike trail at Jones Station Road; there is another section in the median strip of Route 100 just east of the B&A bike path overpass; the last one of which I am aware is along the south side of Route 32 just as the NSA employee driveway ramp almost touches Route 32;visible on Bing bird's eye view, it curves to the left toward the road.

Hope some of this helps
 #1160715  by wayneo

There's alot of buried rail under the Annapolis City streets, and you can indeed find abandoned Bay Ridge trackage off of Amos Garrett Blvd. A friend of mine proudly points the the rail running through the end of her back yard. I have a large collection of photos, as well as original maps defining both the Bladen steet terminus and Annapolis street trackage. If anyone's still interested I'll dig them up and post them, if this site will allow it.
 #1161451  by CarterB

wayneo wrote:There's alot of buried rail under the Annapolis City streets, and you can indeed find abandoned Bay Ridge trackage off of Amos Garrett Blvd. A friend of mine proudly points the the rail running through the end of her back yard. I have a large collection of photos, as well as original maps defining both the Bladen steet terminus and Annapolis street trackage. If anyone's still interested I'll dig them up and post them, if this site will allow it.
Would love to see your B&A photos and maps!!
 #1161468  by Aa3rt

I'd appreciate seeing them as well.
 #1161476  by CarterB

wayneo wrote:There's alot of buried rail under the Annapolis City streets, and you can indeed find abandoned Bay Ridge trackage off of Amos Garrett Blvd
Where along Amos Garrett can you find tracks?
 #1163682  by Rbts Stn

CarterB wrote:
wayneo wrote:There's alot of buried rail under the Annapolis City streets, and you can indeed find abandoned Bay Ridge trackage off of Amos Garrett Blvd
Where along Amos Garrett can you find tracks?
if you do Google Street view down Amos Garrett, there appears to be parallel cracking in the road, about the width of a railbed. Could be my imagination, though.
 #1183439  by wayneo

Guys, sorry it took me so long to gt back here. I've posted three WB and A photos, all that I'm allowed. If you wish I will try to send what I have privately, as I believe that's allowed here. I'll check back soon for a reply...best regards.
 #1291678  by RailVet

Regarding light rail to Annapolis, I believe that was proposed some years ago and the NIMBYs, bikers and hikers along the former B&A right of way had a fit, ending that idea very quickly, leaving Annapolis as one of the only state capitals without rail service.
 #1292929  by Sand Box John

"RailVet"
Regarding light rail to Annapolis, I believe that was proposed some years ago and the NIMBYs, bikers and hikers along the former B&A right of way had a fit, ending that idea very quickly, leaving Annapolis as one of the only state capitals without rail service.

I don't recall any proposal to extend the light rail any further south then Cromwell.

Before the Baltimore Metro was truncated to the single line that exists today, plans called for a north south route between Timonium and Marley. Part of the south line from Westport to Marley followed along most of the existing light rail alignment including along the alignment of the Washington Baltimore and Annapolis to Marley

Baltimore Region Rapid Transit System

Baltimore Region Rapid Transit System Map
 #1298339  by RailVet

It was quite some time ago, I didn't save the news clipping at the time and it was really just a blip that was there and gone. I recall the reception the proposal received was very negative so it sank out of sight very quickly and never returned.

Looking for mention of it now, the only thing I see is this from 2002:

http://mta.maryland.gov/sites/default/f ... tfinal.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excerpt: "Additions to the Baltimore Regional Rail System Plan that may be warranted in the future include extensions of rail service to Annapolis, Bel Air, Catonsville and Westminster."