Railroad Forums 

• alexandria junction

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1143740  by batown

Today talked with a CSX employee who was discussing the plans for double tracking the alexandria branch line through Edmonston and Bladensburg. They would like to start construction this spring
 #1188730  by mmi16

Any double tracking of the Alexandria Extension will be dependent upon getting the necessary permits to renew the Virginia Avenue tunnel through Washington DC as a double track tunnel able to handle 20'2" double stacked containers. The Virginia Ave Tunnel expansion is a active project, however, it is unknown when the appropriate permits for construction will be granted.
 #1189342  by gpp111

I don't think he is referring to the tunnel project, CSX also wants to double the now single track from the two track main (DC-Baltimore) from Bladensburg to the Benning Yard.

As for the tunnel, the locals don't want to be bothered by the project, though this is a major bottleneck allowing double stacks to move from Baltimore south.

http://www.virginiaavenuetunnel.com/

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012 ... nia-avenue
 #1207443  by TheOneKEA

I went past the Alexandria Extension a while back on the Orange Line and noticed that CSX is renewing the signaling at the existing junction where the single track widens to double track, so they may already be executing preparatory work prior to receiving clearance to start more extensive works.

It will be interesting to see if the existing bridge over US 50 near the Tuxedo Interchange is retained and another bridge is built alongside, orif the entire bridge is replaced with a modern double track structure with walkways on either side.
 #1207701  by gpp111

Clearly CSX is trying to eliminate bottlenecks from Baltimore south, so by adding a second track through DC at Anacostia will help ease the flow of trains through DC. This includes the double tracking of the tunnel near the Capitol. Clearly, having a second track will make it easier to dispatch trains. There is already some challenges working around the commuter trains north and south, as well as Amtrak. I am sure there is an expected increase in trains due to Baltimore being one of two ports on the East coast that can handle the large ships that will move through the improved Panama Canal.
 #1209402  by Sand Box John

For those interested in seeing the documents related to the Virginia Avenue Tunnel project they can be seen at Virgina Avenue Tunnel Project Resources.

Roughly 113 MB in various PDF files (Alternatives both pre DEIS and DEIS, reports, newsletters and public meeting presentation materials)

I tend to prefer alternative 4 shown in DEIS Chapter 3: Alternatives on pages 44 - 47 (4.29 MB PDF file).

One thing very interesting about all of the various tunnel alternative, they all leave room for the construction of a third tunnel at some future date north of the new tunnels.