Railroad Forums 

• Walkway Over the Hudson - Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#725080  by umtrr-author

Thanks for sharing the photos... hopefully I'll get to see this in person some time.

Bernie, "voice on the bridge," kudos to you for getting involved and helping out. It must be great to be an integral part of the historical legacy that the Poughkeepsie Bridge represents. We often get so involved in the detail of "railroading" that we can overlook the context in which they operated, and your contributions help provide that context.
 #725108  by Bernard Rudberg

You can walk from the train station to the bridge entrance on Parker Avenue but it is probably close to half a mile on city streets. The alternative would be to take a cab from the station.

Bernie Rudberg
 #725239  by roadster

Ubber-super-wow-cool. I have a new destination for next summers motorcycle rides. Is there public parking near the entrance on either side? I have read many shorts and seen pic.s in mags and books of this marvelous bridge over the years and eagerly look forward to a visit.
Bernie, Well done!!
 #725255  by njtmnrrbuff

I'm going to be walking the bridge with a friend tomorrow and of course, photographing from it, including trains. How good are the photo ops of the passenger and CSX River Line ops?
 #725260  by Bernard Rudberg

There are parking lots on both ends of the bridge. There is one on Parker Avenue in the City of Poughkeepsie and one on Haviland Road in Highland on the west end.

In some places there are 8 foot chain link guards over the railroads and local streets below but out over the river the railings are about chest high. If you are going to take train photos, you will need a good telephoto or zoom lens. The bridge deck is about 200 feet above the rail lines along the shore.

When you are up there, take a look at the interpretive signs. You will find my name on quite a few of them. There is also a phone number you can call to hear narration about the bridge. You might even hear my voice from the bridge. If you'd like to listen, the number is 845-201-3187 and the tour numbers are 6#, 11#, and 41#. You don't have to be on the bridge. You can call from anywhere. It is sort of like an "armchair tour".

Bernie Rudberg
 #725287  by Noel Weaver

Bernard Rudberg wrote:There are parking lots on both ends of the bridge. There is one on Parker Avenue in the City of Poughkeepsie and one on Haviland Road in Highland on the west end.

In some places there are 8 foot chain link guards over the railroads and local streets below but out over the river the railings are about chest high. If you are going to take train photos, you will need a good telephoto or zoom lens. The bridge deck is about 200 feet above the rail lines along the shore.

When you are up there, take a look at the interpretive signs. You will find my name on quite a few of them. There is also a phone number you can call to hear narration about the bridge. You might even hear my voice from the bridge. If you'd like to listen, the number is 845-201-3187 and the tour numbers are 6#, 11#, and 41#. You don't have to be on the bridge. You can call from anywhere. It is sort of like an "armchair tour".

Bernie Rudberg
Bernie, you need to correct no. 6, when the bridge fire occurred in May, 1974, Conrail was still almost two years in the
future. Penn Central was the owner and operater at the time of the fire.
Noel Weaver
 #725294  by nysw3636

There is no parking lot on Haviland Road in Highland. You will need to park on the road itself. You can get great photos of trains on the west side (CSX River Sub), but may be hard to get trains on the east side (Metro-North) due to high fence...
 #725301  by Bernard Rudberg

Noel,
The interview was done almost a year ago and the editing and processing was done by the New York State Parks Dept in Albany. Getting a minor correction done is a red tape nightmare. I have contacts up there so we will see what I can get done.

Bernie Rudberg
 #725352  by Noel Weaver

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Could I get good shots of southbound Amtraks from the bridge? thank you for the advice.
You can get good shots of the Hudson Valley and the area but train shots on the East or West sides of the Hudson River I think are doubtful. The bridge is 212 feet above the water and it is probably around 200 feet above both railroad lines too.
I think you could get better train pictures from someplace else. Having said that, I strongly encourage you and everybody
else on here to walk across this majestic and historic bridge. For many years people have wanted to cross this bridge, you
have your chance now, DO IT!!!!!.
Noel Weaver
 #725758  by njtmnrrbuff

Here are some of my pics of views from the bridge. We had a good time. Yes, the views of the passenger trains from the bridge aren't as good as the freight because of the high fence.
Attachments:
View looking toward Downtown Poughkeepsie and Metro North Station
View looking toward Downtown Poughkeepsie and Metro North Station
DSC_0710.JPG (717 KiB) Viewed 3422 times
View of CXS River Line. looking North
View of CXS River Line. looking North
DSC_0711.JPG (682.42 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
An eastbound Empire Service Amtrak, led by Unit # 709, is about to slow for Poughkeepsie Station, right on time at 2:05
An eastbound Empire Service Amtrak, led by Unit # 709, is about to slow for Poughkeepsie Station, right on time at 2:05
DSC_0708.JPG (668.98 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
 #725816  by O-6-O

The wife and I took our annual leaf peep trip down to the Hudson Valley with great anticipation for walking the bridge. I like many others have wanted to do this
for years. We parked along Haviland rd in Highland (a real cluster) and found our way to the entrance. Oh, the people on this beautiful day and the bridge did not disappoint. WOW is all I can say. Hats off to those on here and to all the people who made this happen. Fantastic job!!. The only disappointment I had was NOT seing a freight on the River Sub. I really wanted to see a whole train streached out as I would guess you can see nearly 5 miles of the railroad continuious. I did of course see the M-N action at Pough and also a southbound Amtrak but really wanted that freight. Was a good day for "boat fanning" as well, caught a large river barge being shoved south from the Port of Albany I assume. Loads of small crafts as well since the curios were coming by whatever means they could to view the structure. A fresh coat of black paint would really set it off but that is one tall order for sure. I don't even know if such plans exsist. Later driving east over the Mid-Hudson bridge to Pough to see the mass of folks up there taking in the sites was a picture itself. A great day for sure. If you find yourself down in the Hudson Valley this Fall or anytime you MUST make put the bridge on the "have to" list. You won't be disappointed.
 #726241  by SST

Love those pictures, especially the one over looking the marina. This looks like a great place to launch. For me, everything I enjoy is covered. NYC air traffic overhead, RR's at the marina and along the river and just an enjoyable day on the water.

Does anybody know the name of that marina in the picture above and if there is a launching ramp?
 #726331  by nysw3636

Although it looks as if this is a marina, it is not. This establishment is a restaurant and is known as Mariner's Harbor. If you look to the north (above) the restaurant, you will see what is to be a public park with an eventual public launching area for boats. There used to be oil tanks there, but now gone for the park. Hope this helps...