Railroad Forums 

• THE ULTIMATE NYA INDUSTRIES MAP

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1187440  by NYCS

Thanks for the continuing and ongoing feedback, guys!

I plan to keep updating this map as part of Rail New York's efforts to cover the full scope of freight rail on Long Island, and we have an even more advanced map in development using more sophisticated GIS software - with all features tied directly into relational database so we can sort by car types, commodities, industry type, customer name, etc. Perhaps even car volumes may be added to the new map. Stay tuned for that.

In the meantime, I've updated the existing map and added the industries CSX serves in the Bronx as well as Staten Island (green placemarks are CSX or someone else). The red placemarks show either a customer I'm currently uncertain about or that has already gone out of business.

Check out the new map: http://goo.gl/maps/s8cDw

Let me know of anything I missed. You can click the rail lines and placemarks for more information. Thanks!
 #1187490  by nyandw

A wonderful piece of work you are doing NYCS. Folks is Velvetop, in Islip, still receiving heavy clay loads in bags via box cars: Image
Velvetop freight loaded onto flatbed for delivery 08/09/2008 Photo: Mike McDermet

so as to update NYCS' listing?
 #1187650  by DogBert

Map update: Bushwick branch - Montebello, so far as I know, has never received a car. Occasionally there is a customer unloading a boxcar at the end of stewart ave right across from them. There's a CN car parked there in the google aerial view. They get maybe a car per month.

Kings at the end of the line gets more stone cars (for their ready mix plant) than lumber these days.

Bass Oil hasn't gotten tanks in awhile now. Pretty sure they are closed. Same for Supreme. Both tracks are beat up. Supreme's has a fence across it.

The switches just west of morgan ave though is being used for transloading by someone getting gons of rebarb. At least half a dozen cars a week.
 #1196004  by rscott417

I noticed you added points for the Bronx. What's going on with manhattan beer distributors, there hasn't been a box car on the 3 track siding in at least 3 weeks. I drive by there on the bruckner and haven't seen any activity.
Also in the Bronx there's a lumber yard that is rail served along the metro north line, it's located between Webster and park aves and the cross street is 172nd. I have no idea who switches there cars though.
 #1201591  by DaveBarraza

DogBert wrote:Bushwick branch - Montebello, so far as I know, has never received a car.
Does Montebello receive cars at another location,or is the NY+A website *that* far out of date...

They must have taken at least one car to be listed on the site, no matter how far out of date it is.
 #1203503  by NYCS

The map has been revised to a new simple color scheme:

Green=Active Rail Customer
Yellow=Uncertain Rail Customer (feedback welcome)
Red=Recently Abandoned

I've also added some of the latest updates to the map. As for Manhattan Beer in the Bronx, I recall reading a newspaper article many months ago about them moving to the warehouse Jetro used to occupy on the north side of Oak Point. Manhattan Beer most likely is in the process of moving. As you may recall, Jetro vacated that building after they constructed that gi-normous NON-RAIL-SERVED "Restaurant Depot" facility right smack in the middle of the most prime rail-capable real estate you could ever ask for in New York City. An absolute shame.

Also, can anyone verify if the customer labeled as David Rosen Bakery still receives rail service, and if the customer just north of them - Supreme Poly - is also a rail customer? Both of these are on the far end of the Bushwick. Thanks!
 #1203522  by DogBert

I believe Manhattan Beer is already in Jetro's old spot at Oak Point.

I'm not sure who unloads them but there's always a bunch of reefers at Hunts Point. Usually around a half dozen, way more during the holidays. I believe there is a trash customer back there too, on a spit of land btw the market and the creek.
 #1203855  by lirr42

I noticed on the map there are two RS40/RS41's (the Fresh Pond-Bridgehampton run and the Fresh Pond-Maspeth/Arch Street run). Are they both handled on the same run or are one of those two designated a different number?

Thanks.
 #1203917  by tj48

Amerigas in Wyandanch should be yellow or maybe red.... haven't seen a car on that siding in apx 2yrs.
 #1210281  by rscott417

I went on to google and did the street view of the yard in Maspeth along Grand Ave and there's a container crane and some small trash containers. Do they receive trash spine cars in this yard or is someone just storing these here.
 #1210438  by rscott417

I was curious and had nothing else to do today so I went over to Grand ave to take a look around. The old container crane is there but no containers and doesn't look like it's moved in some time.
The siding for H.D.F. Trading is definitely no longer in use
 #1210441  by DogBert

I believe the crane was just abandoned there by SAB trucking, who was shipping those red containers of C&D. They would fit 4 per car like the MSW move, and were moving many cars per day. Not sure what happened to that company... They just plain stopped loading around 2008 (after 3 or 4 years of heavy traffic).