Railroad Forums 

• NYAR Train Sighting Thread

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1448915  by cam36

This is a picture I took with my drone of NYA off of Queens Avenue in Lindenhurst. I spent some time talking to the guys working the crossing and they were very nice and informative. It was awesome to see how they work, up close.
Attachments:
NYA_1 (1 of 1).jpg
NYA_1 (1 of 1).jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 2934 times
 #1449391  by Train2009

Last Friday 10/27 #151 and #155 were running on RS41 past Queens Village westbound at 1:26 PM as it was headed back home.
 #1449428  by LINYARailfan

Last night 11/3-11/4 the RS60 was seen at Ronkonkoma with GP38-2 270 and MP15AC 156 at around 11:25PM with a BNSF Reefer, and a mixed consist of centerbeams and stone hoppers for BRT. Around 12:30AM the crew pulled into YA to run around its train and headed west around 1:00AM to drop off cars at BRT.
 #1450739  by AlKaLI

^^
I caught this same train about 2:45 PM that afternoon in Farmingdale. The rear 17 gravel loads were spotted for Posillico. The middle 12 empty CDEX were spotted for loading at Coastal. The two Geeps then backed out of the DEF (heading west) to wait for the mainline switch to be thrown to head east. They followed an EB LIRR M7.
 #1450982  by Train2009

AlKaLI wrote:^^
I caught this same train about 2:45 PM that afternoon in Farmingdale. The rear 17 gravel loads were spotted for Posillico. The middle 12 empty CDEX were spotted for loading at Coastal. The two Geeps then backed out of the DEF (heading west) to wait for the mainline switch to be thrown to head east. They followed an EB LIRR M7.
That was RS70, I caught it too in Queens Village that same day, it went westbound at around 11:17 AM, eastbound at 2:03 PM.
 #1456795  by Train2009

This past Monday 1/8 RS40 was seen twice in the morning, at 10:25 AM at Richmond Hill and at 11:05 AM in Queens Village, #300 and #301 with cars for Coastal and a red/black lumber car.
 #1456850  by tj48

NYAR train with 2 MP-15ac's bracketing apx 6 empty concrete tie flats right now moving west between Wyandanch and Deer Park.
 #1457146  by Train2009

tj48 wrote:NYAR train with 2 MP-15ac's bracketing apx 6 empty concrete tie flats right now moving west between Wyandanch and Deer Park.
It was #155 and #156 as per a picture post on Flickr, speaking about #155 it was seen in Queens Village this morning and this afternoon with #300, it went by eastbound following a eastbound 12 car M7 deadhead train at 10:06 AM to Pine-Aire, it came back westbound from Pire at 2:19 PM following train #7707 to Penn Station and before train #8763 from Patchogue to Jamaica.
 #1457204  by freightguy

Re: NYAR Train Sighting Thread
Postby tj48 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:58 pm
NYAR train with 2 MP-15ac's bracketing apx 6 empty concrete tie flats right now moving west between Wyandanch and Deer Park.

Wow I’m surprised the LIRR unions allowed that, unless there is some sort of agreement in place. The LIRR always had rights to the work train moves. They come to Fresh Pond for stone, ties, switch panels. I’m surprised NYA is moving that train and not an LIRR crew.
 #1457321  by tj48

freightguy wrote:Re: NYAR Train Sighting Thread
Postby tj48 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:58 pm

Wow I’m surprised the LIRR unions allowed that, unless there is some sort of agreement in place. The LIRR always had rights to the work train moves. They come to Fresh Pond for stone, ties, switch panels. I’m surprised NYA is moving that train and not an LIRR crew.
Yeah I was surprised to see that as well. My first thought was that the LIRR had borrowed the NYAR units.
 #1457487  by freightguy

That’s how they come in generally from NS/NYNJ, but just like PW hauling stone to Fresh Pond those LIRR cars were always moved by an LIRR Crew. Same for the countless TTZX flats for all sorts of MTA LIRR capital work. Unless it’s changed since the 2013 lower Montauk agreement the RF-1 or a work extra always hauled any wood/concrete tie car out of Fresh Pond. NYAR never even took anything for staging out east as far as I can remember.
 #1457503  by Backshophoss

It's possible that the tie cars are floated over to Bay Ridge,and LIRR no longer has T&E crews qualified on Fresh Pond-Bay Ridge trackage,
that NY&A gets the duty by default,also this track laying machine is operated by a contract crew,not by LIRR MW. LIRR provides "support"
crews to the construction crews.